Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! Please :-(

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:30 AM
  • 11 Replies

New mom to a baby girl born Jan 1st. Have been breastfeeding successfully since day one. My baby hasn't had a messy diaper since Sunday evening. Plenty of wet just no poop. I've tried warm baths, tummy rubs, the q-tip thing....I am tempted to try Karo. My husband is out of town and I'm stranded until he returns Saturday. I have no juices or glycerin tab on hand. Any other suggestions? She is really gassy also. I've tried gripe water and gas drops for the gas. Works for only a short period of time....help please! 

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GwenGray
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Ok you don't need to start trying stuff until the baby starts crying all the time. That's when you let the doctor do something. Warm baths and tummy rubs should do fine. My son only poo'd once a week for the first several months. He didn't start going more regularly after we gave him cereal. 

sdunaway08
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:41 AM

She is crying a ton, grunting hard and can't/won't sleep at all....she has never cried like this. It isn't a hold me cry. Its a beat red face wail. Breaking my heart.

Quoting GwenGray:

Ok you don't need to start trying stuff until the baby starts crying all the time. That's when you let the doctor do something. Warm baths and tummy rubs should do fine. My son only poo'd once a week for the first several months. He didn't start going more regularly after we gave him cereal. 

Duquesne
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:46 AM
Do you have forceful letdown or oversupply? Could it be a dairy sensitivity? Have you tried cutting dairy?

Have you tried a windi? When she does go, see consistency. If it's small pellets, then it's constipation. If it's not, she didn't have to go.

Karo syrup, like honey, carries a botulism risk. I'd see a doctor before getting close to that. And juice for a month old baby may exasperate digestive issues. Their systems are too new.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GwenGray
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:47 AM

Then it's probably time to call the doctor and make an apt. One thing you can do (I really don't suggest it if you don't know anatomy that well, I did it because I was in the med field for years and know anatomy very well.) But you can take a thermometer and some patrolium jelly, put the jelly on the thermometer and put it up her butt. You don't want to do it more than an inch or inch and a half. DON'T FORCE IT because that means you are pushing against tissue and could tear her insides. If you feel ANY resistance then STOP right away. If she bleeds then take her in to the ER. That's the onlything I can really tell ya to do.

Quoting sdunaway08:

She is crying a ton, grunting hard and can't/won't sleep at all....she has never cried like this. It isn't a hold me cry. Its a beat red face wail. Breaking my heart.

Quoting GwenGray:

I'm a belly dancing and sword fighting mama of 2. I'm married to my high school sweet heart. I plan on enlisting to the army very soon, and having more kids :)

EslingerCrew11
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:54 AM
Alone, thats not really a big deal. Exclusively breast fed.babies can go quite a few days without a poop.

With everything you listed though, Id probably call just to be on the safe side.

I certainly would not give her, or do, all those things you listed though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sissy852
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:59 AM
i put a themonitor sp that is made for the butt and after i took his temp he pooped
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Normal.
I don't really see anything from the baby thats alarming.
Karo is a huge no no. qtip trick isn't safe. Leave baby be.
Group record of no poop was over 20 days
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:08 AM
NO KARO!!! It has the potential to kill babies with botulism. Rectal stimulation isn't safe as it can perforate the rectum; (and a rectal temp you only put in the silver tip of the thermometer, never an inch or more, which is why most doctors don't advise parents attempt rectal temps.)

Some babies are extremely unhappy w the workings of their bowels. I remember the day or two of misery before our giant poopy blowout, as my babies went 3-10 days between poops. 2 of my kids are still unhappy poopers at 10 and 3.

If farts are passing then everything is still working.
mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:30 AM

THIS!!!

Quoting mostlymaydays:

NO KARO!!! It has the potential to kill babies with botulism. Rectal stimulation isn't safe as it can perforate the rectum; (and a rectal temp you only put in the silver tip of the thermometer, never an inch or more, which is why most doctors don't advise parents attempt rectal temps.)

Some babies are extremely unhappy w the workings of their bowels. I remember the day or two of misery before our giant poopy blowout, as my babies went 3-10 days between poops. 2 of my kids are still unhappy poopers at 10 and 3.

If farts are passing then everything is still working.

BabyFruit Ticker

momma1215
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:42 AM

First, try to calm down. My bf ds only pooped 1 time per week. Sometimes longer. Did you eat anything like cabbage or broccoli? That always made my ds gassy and upset. Don't give her Caro Syrup. Call your doctor this morning and just try to snuggle her in the mean time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)