Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Cold while breastfeeding

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:44 AM
  • 5 Replies
I just came down with a cold/cough. I have a 4 week old son who is EBF and I'm trying to figure out what to take without it decreasing my supply.

Any suggestions?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this
Avoid anything with aspirin and make sure to dial up your fluids especially if you take any decongestants but pretty much everything OTC is compatible with breastfeeding. Try to treat your most bothersome symptoms with single-active ingredient meds instead of multi-symptom mixtures. And try avoid long-lasting meds in favor of ones that you metabolize quicker.

Of course there are many homeopathic treatments that are safe and as effective if not more so. Go to kellymom.com and search "colds" and you'll see all the suggestions for natural and medicinal treatments for sick breastfeeding moms.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:39 AM
What she said! ^^^
I hope you're feeling better soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:10 AM
Take a teaspoon of organic apple cider vinegar 3 times a day. And lots of water with lemon :)
Gruntlings
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Vicks nasal decongestant spray is safe for nasal congestion. I use one spray per nostril instead of three, and only use it at bedtime instead of using it twice a day, and that way I can use it for a few more days. 

AVOID anything with Pseudoephedrine  this medication can decrease milk supply by up to 25% and is often used to dry moms up when they no longer want to breastfeed. (This is a common ingredient in cold medications)

Other cold medicines MAY be safe but since your child is only 4 weeks and your milk supply has not yet stabilized I'd be more careful to avoid things that can decrease supply. 

Pumped milk up your nose is actually the most effective thing I've used for colds. 

Hot tea with honey and lemon helps your throat. (Avoid mint tea- it decreases supply)

A humidifier helps with coughing.

And Tylenol or ibuprofen can help with any aches/pains. Just the plain medication not the "for colds" ones as those tend to contain decongestants and most decongestants impact milk supply. 

-Sarah
---------------------------------------------------------
Sarah is a mom to three and a moderator in the "Breastfeeding Moms" group. She runs Nurshable.com where she blogs about finding joy in gentle parenting.

babygirlsierra
by New Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Thanks for the advice ladies! :-)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN