Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Is my boob broken??

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:43 AM
  • 9 Replies
Lol Not really...but something is up! I started block feeding almost a week ago. It seems to have helped with his issues a bit so I'm continuing. Now, the past 2 days my left breast seems to be constantly full, even after he has only eaten on that one for 4+ hrs (he eats every 2-3 hrs so I get 2 feedings per side). Meanwhile, my right breast hasn't been much beyond a flapjack in 2 days as well. I'm continuing to feed on both breasts, alternating every 2 feedings so as to not diminish supply in 1 or the other. Why is one constantly full and the other is constantly flat? I still have milk in the right breast, right? Well I guess I have to...he does nurse. I'm at a loss! I don't want to be a 1 boob pony The one that's always full is the one that the nipple is sensitive too! Boo! :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
bebe_ju-rah
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Nobody knows how to fix my booby? :(
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Lmao! Hahaha! Are you sure he's actually eating from that side or is he comfort nursing
bebe_ju-rah
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:08 PM
He's definitely eating the 2 times he's nursed today. Do you think he would go 4+ hrs without eating? That seems like a long time for a 3 week old. :(

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Lmao! Hahaha! Are you sure he's actually eating from that side or is he comfort nursing
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

Lol Not really...but something is up! I started block feeding almost a week ago. How long are your blocks? It seems to have helped with his issues a bit so I'm continuing. Good. Now, the past 2 days my left breast seems to be constantly full, even after he has only eaten on that one for 4+ hrs (he eats every 2-3 hrs so I get 2 feedings per side). Extend the block on that side to 6 hrs.  Full = bad... floppy is the goal. Meanwhile, my right breast hasn't been much beyond a flapjack in 2 days as well. Right boob is fixed and working perfectly.  I'm continuing to feed on both breasts, alternating every 2 feedings so as to not diminish supply in 1 or the other. The purpose of blockfeeding is to diminish your oversupply. Why is one constantly full and the other is constantly flat? Left boob is still in overdrive, right boob is working as it should.  Extend the block on the left side to 6 hrs or 3 feedings, leave the right boob at 4 hrs or 2 feedings. I still have milk in the right breast, right? Yep, milk is made on demand as baby is nursing.  A floppy boob is a perfectly working boob. Well I guess I have to...he does nurse. I'm at a loss! I don't want to be a 1 boob pony The one that's always full is the one that the nipple is sensitive too! How's the latch on that side?  Maybe try some different positions during that block to get him to empty all areas of it.  Breast compressions or massage as he's slowing down at the end of a session can help, too. Boo! :(

bebe_ju-rah
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Thank you!! His latch sucks...worse on the left it seems. I believe he has a lip tie though (put up pics in another post) so he has an appt on the 20th with an ENT. :(

Quoting K8wizzo:

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

Lol Not really...but something is up! I started block feeding almost a week ago. How long are your blocks? It seems to have helped with his issues a bit so I'm continuing. Good. Now, the past 2 days my left breast seems to be constantly full, even after he has only eaten on that one for 4+ hrs (he eats every 2-3 hrs so I get 2 feedings per side). Extend the block on that side to 6 hrs.  Full = bad... floppy is the goal. Meanwhile, my right breast hasn't been much beyond a flapjack in 2 days as well. Right boob is fixed and working perfectly.  I'm continuing to feed on both breasts, alternating every 2 feedings so as to not diminish supply in 1 or the other. The purpose of blockfeeding is to diminish your oversupply. Why is one constantly full and the other is constantly flat? Left boob is still in overdrive, right boob is working as it should.  Extend the block on the left side to 6 hrs or 3 feedings, leave the right boob at 4 hrs or 2 feedings. I still have milk in the right breast, right? Yep, milk is made on demand as baby is nursing.  A floppy boob is a perfectly working boob. Well I guess I have to...he does nurse. I'm at a loss! I don't want to be a 1 boob pony The one that's always full is the one that the nipple is sensitive too! How's the latch on that side?  Maybe try some different positions during that block to get him to empty all areas of it.  Breast compressions or massage as he's slowing down at the end of a session can help, too. Boo! :(

K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Don't wait.  Get in to see someone NOW.  Also, don't extend your blocks yet.  Leave things as they are until he gets clipped.  Try putting him on top of your breast with you reclined to let him get the deepest latch possible.  If your left breast is bugging you, pump it at the end of the block to get it comfortable.

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

Thank you!! His latch sucks...worse on the left it seems. I believe he has a lip tie though (put up pics in another post) so he has an appt on the 20th with an ENT. :(

Quoting K8wizzo:

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:22 PM
I agree with everything that K8wizzo said! ^^^
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

Nobody knows how to fix my booby? :(

Please give us an hour before you bump... top of the forum is the worst position for this particular group.

Though this was one of those days... real busy at work for me so I couldn't check in like I usually try to at lunchtime.

Nothing broken here but the tie must be dealt with. You will likely still see a difference between your breasts because the difference is normal.

Gruntlings
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:07 AM

I'd stop the block feeding at this point and offer the flattened breast first. It's possible that block feeding has stabilized the supply a bit too much on one side. :) Block feeding isn't a long term thing- just until your supply stabilizes. 

It's normal to have breasts produce different amounts of milk though. And the solution is to offer the "bad" boob first and then offer the better boob second.

Since your LO has a tie I'd avoid trying to decrease your supply until the tie is fixed. Tie babies sometimes need oversupply to compensate for their latch issues. Many of the "symptoms" of oversupply might actually be caused by the tongue tie and not the supply. 

Get the tie fixed ASAP.  

-Sarah
---------------------------------------------------------
Sarah is a mom to three and a moderator in the "Breastfeeding Moms" group. She runs Nurshable.com where she blogs about finding joy in gentle parenting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN