Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

BF jaundice?

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:06 AM
  • 6 Replies
DS is a month old now. At his check up the doctor said the jaundice is just from me nursing. His liver is fine, bilirubin levels are below the dangerous side.
It's just the good kind of jaundice from nursing...
I thought nursing was supposed to help jaundice? Are there any foods I can eat to make it better for him.

And side note: she expected him to put on maybe a pound, but he has gained almost 4 since his one week appointment! Chunky man!
She said I make too rich milk, lol.
And as long as his weight drops off like DDs did just keep on making te good stuff.
He was 7lbs 2 oz at birth, 11 lbs even now.

While I was there I nursed him, set him back on the table and he was 3 oz heavier from 10 mins nursing. Lol!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
piwife
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:41 PM
My dd has jaundice (level 22) . Doctor said it was bm jaundice and wanted me to use formula( hell no) she had a hard time pooping ( lazy eater) but as soon as she pooped and I started to use the sns with my own milk her levels drop. ( she was also under lights) and yes you have some good milk lol!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Low level jaundice can hang around for a month or longer (up to 3 months, I believe).   Billirubin is actually an anti-oxident, so it IS a good kind of jaundice. 

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Low level jaundice can hang around for a month or longer (up to 3 months, I believe).   Billirubin is actually an anti-oxident, so it IS a good kind of jaundice. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

This exactly!

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Many babies get jaundice, bfed or not. That is a silly thing to say.

On a side note, i have three kids (another on the way), the onlt baby of.mine to get jaundice umbilical chord was cut right after birth, and wasnr allowed to breastfeed right after birth either. He was vert jaundice for ge first 5 days, they made him stay in the hospitak longer for that reason. My other two we didnt cut the chord until it stopped pulsing and they nursed right after birth.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Gruntlings
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:58 AM

You don't want to "make it better" unless the levels are dangerous/rising. Bilirubin is natural and healthy in newborns and it acts as an antioxidant. 

It is only an issue when the levels are high.  

http://drjaygordon.com/pediatricks/newborns/bilirubin.html

-Sarah
---------------------------------------------------------
Sarah is a mom to three and a moderator in the "Breastfeeding Moms" group. She runs Nurshable.com where she blogs about finding joy in gentle parenting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN