Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

She gags and vomits when I try to offer solids

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:34 AM
  • 27 Replies
I know you guys have reassured me before but I need it again. Dd is 10 mos old and literally gags and throws up if food is in her mouth. She sticks her tongue out and acts like she has no idea what to do with the food. Still ok? I am just worried she Is older and not even trying yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:51 AM
It's fine i'm sure. What are you offering?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kellymom127
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:52 AM

wondering the same thing but with table food

Jademom07
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Just keep offering.  Soft, steamed fruits and veggies that she can pick up herself so there is no pressure to eat...only play.  They eventually get it but it takes time.  Your milk is still giving all she needs for now.

mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Are you spoon feeding ehr purees or is she eating table foods? A lot of the time if it's purees it's the texture & all you need to do is try  table foods & allow them to feed themselves & they'll do much better. If she's not on purees then it could be a texture thing for her, is it certain foods or all foods?

BabyFruit Ticker

K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:23 PM

What have you tried?  Purees?  Small bits of soft food?

PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Has she been checked for tongue tie?  Most particularly a posterior tie?  That can definitely affect the ability to eat solids since they can't move them properly

TTC2Long
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:08 PM
As others have asked - are you spoon feeding? I wouldn't worry yet. Read up on baby led solids. Ds did the same with purees until a year. I backed off on all of it because he would choke so bad he'd throw up. But at 12m, he just started picking up chunks of food and eating on his own! He's 2 1/2 now and a good little eater. Some kiddoes just take longer. That's ok!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KylersMom8-16-7
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this
My youngest did that until 13 months. I started offering at 9 months so I tried at 10, 11, and 12 months. He barely eats solids at 17 months but that's his choice and he nurses 12 times a day still.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KelleyLitty
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Avocado. Banana (mashed with breastmilk or tiny chunks) she hates either way. Applesauce. Sweet potato. I let her feed herself usually but I did try to spoon feed her 2 times and it didn't go over well. :/

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

It's fine i'm sure. What are you offering?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KelleyLitty
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:29 PM
She feeds herself. I tried spoon feeding twice and forget it! Avocado, sweet potato. Banana. Spaghetti noodle. She does it with all the foods I've tried so far. She gets it in her mouth and gags when it is on the front of her tongue.

Quoting mamabens:

Are you spoon feeding ehr purees or is she eating table foods? A lot of the time if it's purees it's the texture & all you need to do is try  table foods & allow them to feed themselves & they'll do much better. If she's not on purees then it could be a texture thing for her, is it certain foods or all foods?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN