Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

More milk on my right side?

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:37 AM
  • 35 Replies
My right breast produces so much more milk than my left. It makes my breasts incredibly uneven. How do I get my left side to produce more? I always offer one side, burp her, and offer the other side. She nurses from both but I usually offer my right side first because it's so full by feeding time that it starts to hurt.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Bump
nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Bump
mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:46 AM

First no bumping for at least an hour, you want the  post on the second page in this group because  the mods go to the oldest first. If it's ont he first page they are less likely to see it when they're answering. Now to your question...sorry it's normal & not a heck of a lot you can do about it. My son hasn't nursed in 2 yrs & y right is still a full cup size bigger than my left. What you can do is start  all sessions on the left (if baby tends to take both in a feeding) but we all naturally have a dominate breast. If the right one is too full, express just enough for comfort if you're starting with the left.

BabyFruit Ticker

nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Oh ok on the bumping...

Mine is about a cup size bigger too. I hate it.
:( it looks terrible and my right side is usually uncomfortably full shortly after the feeding is over.

Quoting mamabens:

First no bumping for at least an hour, you want the  post on the second page in this group because  the mods go to the oldest first. If it's ont he first page they are less likely to see it when they're answering. Now to your question...sorry it's normal & not a heck of a lot you can do about it. My son hasn't nursed in 2 yrs & y right is still a full cup size bigger than my left. What you can do is start  all sessions on the left (if baby tends to take both in a feeding) but we all naturally have a dominate breast. If the right one is too full, express just enough for comfort if you're starting with the left.

nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Bump
KatC2
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:54 PM
I had the same problem! I just started feeding her mostly on the left side and iced the right when it was too full (per my dr. Instructions) and it leveled out in about 2 weeks :)
KatC2
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:54 PM
What's "bump?"

Quoting nocalmegan:

Bump

nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:07 PM
I just expressed into a bottle this morning lol. I just held it there and put a little pressure towards the top of my breast and it just started squirting out. I got out two oz just holding the bottle there. I don't even get thy when I pump usually Lol I was very very full.

Quoting KatC2:

I had the same problem! I just started feeding her mostly on the left side and iced the right when it was too full (per my dr. Instructions) and it leveled out in about 2 weeks :)

oliver92
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:07 PM

thats common, try renting a medela pump and storing your extra milk, its good to have too much!! I always had one side with more and same as you started with the one that was bursting, then switch. Your doing great. :)

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:34 PM
You could try block feeding and do longer blocks on the right side since it is obviously making more than is needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)