Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

night weaning my 2 month old?

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:05 PM
  • 68 Replies

Is it a good idea? I miss my sleep! 

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this

No not a good idea at all. Before 1 yr of age if they wake at night to nurse they need it. The only way I got any sleep was co sleeping, we side carred his crib.

BabyFruit Ticker

Momma2013
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:09 PM
No, way too young! Even formula fed babies aren't weaned overnight. Baby needs to eat a lot and I hope you get some rest so you don't try night weaning.

I just had my baby so he's eating quite a bit and it can be tiring but its something you do for baby! :) maybe you can pump so your SO can help with night feedings?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ceckyl
by Kyla on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this
No! Your infant NEEDS to eat. Denying eating could lead to FTT
PEEK05
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I just waited until my children started sleeping through the night (from bed time to wake up) on their own.  My daughter was 8 months and my son 13 months.  I'd continue breastfeeding at night but that is just me.

mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Quoting Momma2013:

No, way too young! Even formula fed babies aren't weaned overnight. Baby needs to eat a lot and I hope you get some rest so you don't try night weaning.

I just had my baby so he's eating quite a bit and it can be tiring but its something you do for baby! :) maybe you can pump so your SO can help with night feedings?

I agree with everything you've said except this. If  you do that then you need to pump for the missed feeding.

BabyFruit Ticker

K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this

NO!  That will put your baby at risk of failure to thrive.  Babies should NOT be nightweaned until at last 12 months.

Emadele
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:13 PM
1 mom liked this
No. Babies need to eat regularly. Especially very young babies. Their bellies are so tiny and bm processes in about 90 min. It is cruel to deny them food when they are hungry IMO. and quite frankly, not to be rude or anything, but if you cherish your sleep so much you probably should have skipped the having kids part. No matter the feeding method you will still be getting up at night any way. Also. Even if you were to miraculously convince a 2 mo old they don't need to eat at night they will still wake at night. It is a servival instinct against SIDS.

Married to Russell (7/27/09), Momma to Haydn (5/27/10) and Donavyn (8/1/12).
mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:14 PM
4 moms liked this
Babies don't wake up because they think its fun.... Nursing back to sleep (hungry or not) is the quickest way to get them calm and back to sleep.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:38 PM
Yep.

Quoting K8wizzo:

NO!  That will put your baby at risk of failure to thrive.  Babies should NOT be nightweaned until at last 12 months.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tea4Tas
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:40 PM

If you can safely co-sleep then you can easily feed without as much loss of sleep.  Of course not all Moms and all babies are good cantidates for co-sleeping...and you do set yourself up to being the all night buffet...but it worked very well for myself and my 4 kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)