Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nursing mom and the girls' weekend!

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:57 PM
  • 12 Replies

My sister is getting married later this year and we are going to Las Vegas for the bacherolette party.  I will be gone from Friday morning until Monday night.  I plan on pumping but unsure what to do with the milk.  Ideally I would like to bring it home, since I am a working mom and will need to rebuild my freezer stash after being gone for 4 days, but how realistic is that?

I'm taking a direct flight home and in theory it should be about 8 hours from the time I need to get to the airport until I arrive home.  I am worried about keeping the milk the right temperature in transit and how to transport 4 days worth of milk.

Advice would be great!

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fortressmom
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:21 PM

I would just take the baby and avoid the hassle myself:)  Sorry, I'm never away from my nurslings so I can't help you on this one. Here's a BUMP for you!

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this

If you get hotel room with a fridge that will make it easy to collect/store milk over the weekend. Then pack it all in a cooler with ice packs for the trip home. Milk is good for 24 hrs in a cooler with ice packs, so you should do fine.

2BRBgirlz
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Call the airline and ask them how you can bring it with you on the plane, you know how weird they are with liquids these days!

gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:44 AM

EXCEEDINGLY realistic! I did a ten day trip to Vegas for a convention when I was nursing. Shipped part of the milk home, flew home with the rest. 

Step 1: Have a fridge in the hotel room. (But don't eat or drink any of the stuff they put in it unless you want to spend an exorbitant amount for tiny bottles!)

Step 2: Bring a cooler.

Step 3: Talk to the hotel concierge about dry ice. OR go to a grocery store to pick some up.

Step 4: Pack the milk in the dry ice in the cooler.

Do talk to your airline about baggage rules; they have changed since my road warrior days. It might be best to check the cooler.

sissy852
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:46 AM
i hear you can bring bm on the plane
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:08 AM
This!

Quoting maggiemom2000:

If you get hotel room with a fridge that will make it easy to collect/store milk over the weekend. Then pack it all in a cooler with ice packs for the trip home. Milk is good for 24 hrs in a cooler with ice packs, so you should do fine.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Yep

Enjoy your weekend!!!! :) remember safe to drive safe to nurse so no need to pump and dump.

Quoting aehanrahan:

This!

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NHGal
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I know that rule! I don't think I can afford to drink enough where that rule would apply. I'm not a huge drinker to begin with

Quoting melindabelcher:

Yep

Enjoy your weekend!!!! :) remember safe to drive safe to nurse so no need to pump and dump.

Quoting aehanrahan:

This!

Quoting maggiemom2000:

NHGal
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:56 AM
I looked at the TSA rules last night and in theory I should not have any issue bringing it on the plane with me. I am flying back to Philly and the airport's record on checked baggage is not that great.
And you said dry ice, right? That is classed as a hazardous good and has special handling rules. Were there any requirements you had to follow?

Quoting gdiamante:

EXCEEDINGLY realistic! I did a ten day trip to Vegas for a convention when I was nursing. Shipped part of the milk home, flew home with the rest. 

Step 1: Have a fridge in the hotel room. (But don't eat or drink any of the stuff they put in it unless you want to spend an exorbitant amount for tiny bottles!)

Step 2: Bring a cooler.

Step 3: Talk to the hotel concierge about dry ice. OR go to a grocery store to pick some up.

Step 4: Pack the milk in the dry ice in the cooler.

Do talk to your airline about baggage rules; they have changed since my road warrior days. It might be best to check the cooler.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Use a fridge when there, ice packs on the plane and yes yuo can save the milk

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN