Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Nursing mom and the girls' weekend!

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:57 PM
  • 12 Replies

My sister is getting married later this year and we are going to Las Vegas for the bacherolette party.  I will be gone from Friday morning until Monday night.  I plan on pumping but unsure what to do with the milk.  Ideally I would like to bring it home, since I am a working mom and will need to rebuild my freezer stash after being gone for 4 days, but how realistic is that?

I'm taking a direct flight home and in theory it should be about 8 hours from the time I need to get to the airport until I arrive home.  I am worried about keeping the milk the right temperature in transit and how to transport 4 days worth of milk.

Advice would be great!

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fortressmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:21 PM

I would just take the baby and avoid the hassle myself:)  Sorry, I'm never away from my nurslings so I can't help you on this one. Here's a BUMP for you!

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this

If you get hotel room with a fridge that will make it easy to collect/store milk over the weekend. Then pack it all in a cooler with ice packs for the trip home. Milk is good for 24 hrs in a cooler with ice packs, so you should do fine.

2BRBgirlz
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Call the airline and ask them how you can bring it with you on the plane, you know how weird they are with liquids these days!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:44 AM

EXCEEDINGLY realistic! I did a ten day trip to Vegas for a convention when I was nursing. Shipped part of the milk home, flew home with the rest. 

Step 1: Have a fridge in the hotel room. (But don't eat or drink any of the stuff they put in it unless you want to spend an exorbitant amount for tiny bottles!)

Step 2: Bring a cooler.

Step 3: Talk to the hotel concierge about dry ice. OR go to a grocery store to pick some up.

Step 4: Pack the milk in the dry ice in the cooler.

Do talk to your airline about baggage rules; they have changed since my road warrior days. It might be best to check the cooler.

sissy852
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:46 AM
i hear you can bring bm on the plane
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:08 AM
This!

Quoting maggiemom2000:

If you get hotel room with a fridge that will make it easy to collect/store milk over the weekend. Then pack it all in a cooler with ice packs for the trip home. Milk is good for 24 hrs in a cooler with ice packs, so you should do fine.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Yep

Enjoy your weekend!!!! :) remember safe to drive safe to nurse so no need to pump and dump.

Quoting aehanrahan:

This!

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NHGal
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I know that rule! I don't think I can afford to drink enough where that rule would apply. I'm not a huge drinker to begin with

Quoting melindabelcher:

Yep

Enjoy your weekend!!!! :) remember safe to drive safe to nurse so no need to pump and dump.

Quoting aehanrahan:

This!

Quoting maggiemom2000:

NHGal
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:56 AM
I looked at the TSA rules last night and in theory I should not have any issue bringing it on the plane with me. I am flying back to Philly and the airport's record on checked baggage is not that great.
And you said dry ice, right? That is classed as a hazardous good and has special handling rules. Were there any requirements you had to follow?

Quoting gdiamante:

EXCEEDINGLY realistic! I did a ten day trip to Vegas for a convention when I was nursing. Shipped part of the milk home, flew home with the rest. 

Step 1: Have a fridge in the hotel room. (But don't eat or drink any of the stuff they put in it unless you want to spend an exorbitant amount for tiny bottles!)

Step 2: Bring a cooler.

Step 3: Talk to the hotel concierge about dry ice. OR go to a grocery store to pick some up.

Step 4: Pack the milk in the dry ice in the cooler.

Do talk to your airline about baggage rules; they have changed since my road warrior days. It might be best to check the cooler.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Use a fridge when there, ice packs on the plane and yes yuo can save the milk

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN