Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Those who exclusively pump

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:05 AM
  • 6 Replies
Tell me about it please? What was your reasoning? What pump do you use? How often do you pump? All the ins and outs.

And please do not blast my post with articles. If I wanted articles I would have used google. Thx.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:27 AM

If you're going to EP, go for the hygeia enjoye--closed system, WHO compliant, excellent pump.  I EP'd for a while for my oldest who was a preemie and unable to latch well/transfer milk well.  After 6.5 weeks, my supply regulated and I couldn't pump enough for him (hospital grade rental pump) and the pumping constantly around the clock was too much for me and we slowly switched to formula as I weaned off the pump, continuing to nurse him a couple of times a day until my milk was gone because he just couldn't nurse well enough to keep my supply up.  When EPing, you need to pump 10-12 times a day, for around 20 minutes at a time (until 2-5 minutes after you see the last drops of milk).  You are married to your pump and can never go anywhere without it.  Putting my newborn down so I could pump felt so unnatural to me.  With my second, nursing him at the breast has been the best experience.  It's so much easier, so much less time consuming, so much less stressful.... just a completely different experience.

This is the best post in this group about EPing... it gives you all the nitty-gritty.  http://www.cafemom.com/group/325/forums/read/15530991/exclusive_pumping

melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:48 AM
I EP'd for almost 6mo. I had to pump every 2hrs around the clock. if I didn't my supply started to cut back practically immediately. I used the medela pump in style advance. I pumped because ds was having trouble latching, I followed the misinformation of a hospital lc. Thought pumping would be easier then nursing since others could help and ds wouldn't have to be attached to me.
After 6mo I just couldn't do it anymore. Every 2hrs pumping for 20-30min(around the clock, even though ds was sleeping 12hrs straight from 8 weeks on), washing everything so it would be dry to use again. Bottle feeding ds. then practically time to start all over again. Dragging a baby, a cooler, diaper bag, and pump with me everywhere I went. Having to find someplace to pump was becoming a nightmare so I got a car adapter and a battery pack so I didnt have to plug it in.
I swore I would never do that again unless I had to for other reasons.
It is possible there are a couple moms in here who were able to EP for the first year but it's extremely challenging and not everyone can physically respond to a pump adequately long term.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
xredstarsx
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Just know you might not respond well to a pump. I have used many kinds of pumps and the most I have ever gotten was 1.5 oz combined and that was when I was engorged. While a normal amount for pumping, I would never have gotten enough to pump exclusively.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Absolutely read jrp0606's post. She gives the straight scoop and it is the Bible on the subject.

Piwife also exclusively pumped... be aware she will tell you NOT to do it because it's many times more work than simply nursing.

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:11 AM
Eped for 6 months with a preemies that had a nasty tie and no one would fix. Used the pump in style advance and an avent manual pump. Pumped every two to three hours around the clock till the last month when i started losing my response to the pump.

I would love to add more but computer is down and i hate my phone lol you can message me though with questions if you want.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
christababy
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:13 AM
I had a micro preemie and EP'ed for roughly 4 mo, and still on occasion pump. I use the Medela pump in style. Started off with 15 min each session, every 2 hrs, 3 hrs at night. Switched to 20min sessions every 3 hours after about a week. That lasted about 2 weeks. I was finding I could not live my life (2 other young babes), and switched to 20min sessions every 4 hours, 5-6 hours at night. If I had free time, I would squeeze in another session. I know some ladies here would not recommend such a huge spead in the hours, but it worked for me. I had an average output of 7-8 oz per session. Now that I am mostly nursing, I don't respond as well to the pump as I used to, which is natural I guess.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN