Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this normal?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:05 AM
  • 15 Replies
Forgive me for sounding stupid but this is my first baby and she's only six days old so I'm very, very new to this.

In the last hour, I've changed three poopy diapers and I just heard Andi make another. Is it normal for her to poop that much? They're not a weird color or anything and she isn't fussy. Just pooping a lot. Is there something in my milk that disagrees with her or should I be concerned?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyOfTheBest2
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:08 AM
Newborns poop A LOT, I think you're in the clear! Congratulations on your new baby :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KristaElizabeth
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:09 AM
2 moms liked this
No question is a stupid question especially from a new mom. Here's a bump so the experts of the group can see! Good luck!
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:18 AM
Aiden pooped so much that by day 4 he had a rash! We'd already been through 4 packs of diapers. Normal
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Normal andhealthy.  Lots of pooping means she is getting plenty of food :)

AleaKat
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:31 AM
Newborns poop a lot it's just a fact of life!
Totally normal!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:44 AM
1 mom liked this
I remember those days, the baby pooping before, during and after every single feeding. With my first baby I was going through a whole pack of diapers a day. With my second baby I just changed him after the feeding.

If you think all this poop is strange, just wait until it spaces out to once a week! Each of my four was only pooping once every 3-10 days by the time they were 8-12 weeks. Shocked me every time. (Some babies can go almost 3 weeks between poops) and all these variations are normal.
Gruntlings
by Sarah on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:11 AM

:) Totally normal. And  very healthy. Your milk is in at full force right now and it digests very quickly so baby poops it all out. It's a GOOD thing. As baby gets older the poops will come less frequently- it can be normal for baby to poop every hour, or once every 2 weeks when breastfed as long as the poops are not hard and pellet-like, bloody, laced with bright green, white, or black there is very little to worry about unless there are other symptoms. 

christineT79
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Very normal. I was shocked how much my newborn would poop. I remember going through 15 diapers a day & most of them were poops. She used to poop every time she nursed & in the begining she was nursing every hour or two. Lot's of poops in those early days is a very good sign that baby is eating enough.

JTE11
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:01 PM

No, if shes not fussing and they're normal consistency and color she's probably just fine. They eat often, they're digestive systems are small and relatively short and they eat liquids so everything tends to go through quickly.

OBImomma
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Very normal. Congratulations on your new baby :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)