Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Forgive me for sounding stupid but this is my first baby and she's only six days old so I'm very, very new to this.

In the last hour, I've changed three poopy diapers and I just heard Andi make another. Is it normal for her to poop that much? They're not a weird color or anything and she isn't fussy. Just pooping a lot. Is there something in my milk that disagrees with her or should I be concerned?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:05 AM
Replies (11-15):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:13 PM
This!
Your milk is a natural laxative.

Quoting Gruntlings:

:) Totally normal. And  very healthy. Your milk is in at full force right now and it digests very quickly so baby poops it all out. It's a GOOD thing. As baby gets older the poops will come less frequently- it can be normal for baby to poop every hour, or once every 2 weeks when breastfed as long as the poops are not hard and pellet-like, bloody, laced with bright green, white, or black there is very little to worry about unless there are other symptoms. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:56 PM
2 moms liked this
Yeah is amazing how much poop can come out of something so little
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Yes it's normal!  babies, especially brand new ones, eat poop eat & poop more.

BabyFruit Ticker

cailliermommy
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:17 AM

It isn't a stupid quiestion. Newborns poops ALOT!!! Try to keep your new baby clean and dry. Congrats!!!

Mitzi31
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:49 AM

nope! You're good. And don't worry about stupid questions. Nothing's stupid. I've had a lot of questions myself on here since dd was my first but I've learned a lot! I actually thought to start with that pooping 5 or 6 times a day was normal. When dd got to where she was only pooping like once every 4 days that's when I got concerned but with Breast milk it breaks down differently so it's ok and it doesn't mean they are constipated. :-)

No worries! You're doing great mommy! :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)