Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did you lose weight when you stopped nursing?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:32 AM
  • 18 Replies

This weight loss thing is for the birds!!!!  I've always heard that breastfeeding helps you lose weight....ha!  No so for me.  I have been the same weight since I had my son 7 months ago, despite eating healthy and exercising.  I've also heard that a lot of women lost weight after they stopped nursing.  If this happened to any of you, how long did it take you to lose those last 10-15lbs?  I just stopped nursing this past week and I have those last 15lbs to lose. I have definately decrease my po intake to offset the calories I consumed while nursing and I pretty much eat healthy most of the time (heck, I'm a dietitian, I should know how to eat!!).  Thanks for any help ladies!!

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:50 AM
I'll let ya know if I ever get to quit, lol.
I cold turkey weaned my oldest at 1, 13 years ago and ended up gaining weight. But I also had an undiagnosed thyroid condition at that point.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iluvteeth77
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:51 PM
I actually lost more then prepregnancy with my first. It came off slow. I nursed him for 19 months. I actually gained some weight after.... Just like 7lbs or so.... I didn't eat extra healthy or exercise when I nursed him either.... This time my ds is 4 months and I've lost a lot, just slowly. Still need to lose another 10lbs but plan to nurse to at least 19 months like with my first. I don't eat excessive and stay pretty busy but don't have time to work out so it's a slow process.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
graycalico
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:55 PM
I hold onto my weight while breast feeding until my babies start eating solids regularly. I actually have more cravings the first few months out than I ever do while pregnant. This time I'm going to try to get active more quickly after baby.
lifeforchrist
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:55 PM

for me i keep the last 10lbs until 9months. its like that 9 month mark of nursing comes around and it just drops off. happened with both. I havent stopped nursing. I got pregnant between nursing. But im at my pre-pregnancy weight so i dont expect ill lose any when I stop.

whoopsie16
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:01 PM
well my ds is 8 mo. and i havent lost a ton of weight either (then again i hardly excersize or eat healthy) my weight kinda goes up & down...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I always gained weight with weaning... I was burning so many fewer calories!  

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, and I also have a june baby and didn't really lose all the weight until this month.   Sometimes it just takes time... I certainly wouldn't wean over it.

MaryJarrett
by Mary on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I've gained since my DD weaned at 30ish months!  I'm looking forward to nursing again so I can drop back down easier. 

Alliemad_3
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:11 PM
I actually lost the most weight between 14 months and two years. Which was strange, because they nurse less often. But that second year, it got to where I was getting TOO thin. However, after I weaned I gained around 10lbs.
Yuriko_chan
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I had the same issue. After I stopped nursing, I got really sick and couldn't eat or drink for a few weeks. I had the stomach bug (could drink but not eat) for four days, and then I had severe tonsillitis for 2 weeks (couldn't eat or hardly drink). So after that, the weight came off. Not all of it. I am going to the gym and I can tell a difference already in the way my clothes fit and some days how I look. But I still weigh the same.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)