Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Did you lose weight when you stopped nursing?

Posted by   + Show Post

This weight loss thing is for the birds!!!!  I've always heard that breastfeeding helps you lose weight....ha!  No so for me.  I have been the same weight since I had my son 7 months ago, despite eating healthy and exercising.  I've also heard that a lot of women lost weight after they stopped nursing.  If this happened to any of you, how long did it take you to lose those last 10-15lbs?  I just stopped nursing this past week and I have those last 15lbs to lose. I have definately decrease my po intake to offset the calories I consumed while nursing and I pretty much eat healthy most of the time (heck, I'm a dietitian, I should know how to eat!!).  Thanks for any help ladies!!

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Replies (11-18):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:38 PM
I'm heavier now than I was after I had my oldest 11 1/2 years ago. I weighed less after his brother was born 5 years ago and have gained some in the last year. He's still nursing occasionally. I just need to exercise more to be healthy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:42 PM
I lost the last 5 lbs after weaning. Took me 9 mo to lose all but the last five pounds. I counted calories and exercised 1-2 times daily 7 days a week.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Some moms gain, some moms lose, some stay the same. I fell int eh latter category and never lost anything additional. But I should also note I've never made any particular effort at it either.

sunfire79
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Well, I didn't wean so that I could lose weight.  He was really only night nursing, and now that he's sleeping more at night, we just gradually stopped those as well.  This is the first full week that he hasn't nursed. 

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Oh, and I also have a june baby and didn't really lose all the weight until this month.   Sometimes it just takes time... I certainly wouldn't wean over it.

BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:09 PM
I'm in the same boat. Didn't lose the weight last baby until I quit nursing and was able to diet freely!
piwife
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:33 PM
I lose weight while nursing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
randhferedinos
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:37 PM
Me too. It's hard for me to consciously lose weight the first year of breastfeeding, but the second year and beyond I have a very easy time with losing weight.

I have been nursing without a break for 5 years so I can't speak to the weaning aspect of losing weight. My fat reserves just melted off pretty naturally the second/fourth year with both nurslings :)

Quoting Alliemad_3:

I actually lost the most weight between 14 months and two years. Which was strange, because they nurse less often. But that second year, it got to where I was getting TOO thin. However, after I weaned I gained around 10lbs.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:37 PM
I had no issues losing weight while nursing, but have always been nursing since my firat was born.

However i have a friend who couldnt lose the las bit until her sons weaned. I think every mom is different.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN