Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son is 4 weeks old and has s horrible latch! You can hear him sucking and I can't get him to take my breast the way he should..help
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Replies (11-19):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Bottles will prolong latching issues.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nikkifam5
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:57 PM
I just took a survey on a website that says he's probably tongue tied also. And a big sign is he makes a clicking noise when he nurses and my nipple are pinched after he nurses.. should I call his pediatrician

Quoting aehanrahan:

Bottles will prolong latching issues.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:06 PM
You can call the pediatrician, but many don't know much about this. I would ask for a referral to a pediatric dentist or an ENT that is knowledgeable about posterior tongue ties.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nikkifam5
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Lol I'm kinda worried now! I barely am able to pump more then an ounce I don't want to lose my supply. Should I continue to nurse? I have all the signs. Clicking when nursing, falls asleep in 5 min on the breast, angled nipple when he's done.. only thing is its never painful to nurse.. should I keep nursing . Is it okay?

Quoting aehanrahan:

You can call the pediatrician, but many don't know much about this. I would ask for a referral to a pediatric dentist or an ENT that is knowledgeable about posterior tongue ties.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:15 PM
It is ok to continue nursing, but I suggest pumping frequently to ensure a full milk supply. Supplement with your pumped milk in tiny increments if he's not making the diaper count. Instead of bottles, try a dropper, syringe, cup, or a SNS.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lsherrill1402
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:09 PM
I bought a very useful breastfeeding book called The Womanly Art of breastfeeding. It tells you all sorts of things you need to know even if you think you already know them. I am an RN and will be using this book with my patients as well. I highly recommend you purchase it if you have never breastfed before.
nikkifam5
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:23 PM
I breast fed my last baby which is why I'm not understanding what's going on with my son . But as the pp said he may very well be tongue tied now that I researched it.

Quoting lsherrill1402:

I bought a very useful breastfeeding book called The Womanly Art of breastfeeding. It tells you all sorts of things you need to know even if you think you already know them. I am an RN and will be using this book with my patients as well. I highly recommend you purchase it if you have never breastfed before.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Oh, keeping it is a matter of time and practice. Having to relatch often is normal in the first weeks. More babies need to do this dance than not in the first month.

Quoting nikkifam5:

Done all of this and he never keeps a good latch :( my dad was never this difficult

Quoting gdiamante:

When you feel his latch isn't good, take him off and relatch. Learn the "booby sandqwich"... compress your breast tissue in a c-hold to make it stand out as much as possible... then brush his mouth up and down with the nipple. When he opens WIDE... push the nipple in as far as you can. No, you won't smother him... his nose is designed for this.

PolishMamma2
by Marta on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:01 AM

I would say get a second opinion on the latch and the tounge tie. It sounds like you have tried alot trying to get him to latch properly, so all I can say is be strong it will get better. Oh and strip him down to his diaper when you feed him that way he wont be warm and and more alert.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)