Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

birth control HELP!!!!

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:09 PM
  • 30 Replies

So I have had 2 docs tell me that nuva ring is ok to use while breastfeeding and a nurse told me that it isnt...any opinions on the issue

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:17 PM
NO!!! It has estrogen and will KILL your supply!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:20 PM
Anything with estrogen is bad for breastfeeding because it dries you up.
Mommynwife26
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:22 PM
Its not! As with pp its got estrogen. I got the implanon and I had the mini pill before that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kaydenmommy10
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:23 PM

the doc that prescribed it said that she was 95% sure that it would be fine and that they want you to wait atleast 6 weeks after starting to breastfeed to use nuva ring so your milk supply is there

lovelyladybump
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:24 PM
Any form of birth control with hormones in it will decrease your milk supply.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:24 PM
1 mom liked this
If you want to go with a hormonal form of birth control, it needs to be something that is progestin only.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:26 PM
It doesn't matter how long someone has been breastfeeding. Anything with estrogen will dry up their supply within 24 hours!

Quoting kaydenmommy10:

the doc that prescribed it said that she was 95% sure that it would be fine and that they want you to wait atleast 6 weeks after starting to breastfeed to use nuva ring so your milk supply is there

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:26 PM
Not any one. Just the ones with estrogen.

Quoting lovelyladybump:

Any form of birth control with hormones in it will decrease your milk supply.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaydenmommy10
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:31 PM

if the 24 hour thing is right I have had it in for 3 days and i can sqeeze my nipple and milk squrits out still

Quoting aehanrahan:

It doesn't matter how long someone has been breastfeeding. Anything with estrogen will dry up their supply within 24 hours!

Quoting kaydenmommy10:

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:35 PM
You're lucky then. I would discontinue using it immediately if you want to keep nursing.

Quoting kaydenmommy10:

if the 24 hour thing is right I have had it in for 3 days and i can sqeeze my nipple and milk squrits out still

Quoting aehanrahan:

Quoting kaydenmommy10:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)