Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Weightloss & breastfeeding?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:57 AM
  • 23 Replies
I was wondering if anyone has tips/advice about losing weight while breastfeeding. Any healthy eating suggestions and exercises. I am overweight and breastfeeding alone hasn't help shed weight.
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Thoughtfulmommy
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Drink lots of water. It sounds silly, but it helps. Try to stock your house with healthier snacks. Nursing in the middle of the night made me so hungry and I would grab anything to eat. Which would almost always be junk like cookies and whatnot. As for exercise, any activity is better than nothing. When it gets a bit nicer outside, go for walks with baby. I could not establish a good routine without baby interrupting, so I had to adjust. Breastfeeding contributes to gradual weight loss, I am seven months in and I still notice shedding the ocassional pound or two. Good luck!
shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:55 AM
2 moms liked this
Weight watchers has a program for nursing mothers. I have heard its good. I personally just watch what I eat. I also keep only health snacks around. So if I get the muchies I go for an apple or a banana. At meals I take smaller portions and try to chew longer so it takes longer to eat and my brain can register I'm full. I still eat around 1700-1800 calories a day with most of those being in the morning.
Also keep in mind you may not loose anything until after baby weans. With my DD I maintained my weight and once she was done I lost 15lbs, of course I was pregnant again so I'm sure that had something to do with it since I always loose 20lbs or so in my first trimester. Now with DS2 I've lost all pregnancy weight plus an extra 15 on doing what I mentioned above.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Eat to hunger while choosing healthy choices. You can do whatever exercise that you like. If you want to start slow, start walking every day then add more stuff as you go on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Lots of water and walking is the first thing I am going to do to lose the baby weight while healing from my c-section.  Once I hit pre-pregnancy weight, I am going to do more exercise type stuff.

LLbaby143
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Majorly change your diet. I became a vegetarian part vegan with little carb intake. Many small meals a day andi lost 43 lbs in 6 weeks.
One-n-Counting
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Make sure you get some type of exercise in... even if its just walking around the park.

Eat lots of lean protein and veggies! 

Keep sweets and carbs to a minimum!

Drink mostly water and stay away from pop.

cailliermommy
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Watch your carb intake. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes & went on a strick diet to control. After having my daughter I stayed on my diet. I have lost 40lbs without much exercise other than running after my kids and housework. Good Luck.

anxiousschk
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this

This is what I was going to suggest.  My GD diet was 30 grams of carbs at breakfast, 60 for lunch and dinner.  Then 2-3 snacks with 15-30 grams of carbs.  Each time I ate I needed to try and get in at least a serving of protein.  (I found this difficult with snacks but easy with meals.) 

I didn't watch calories at all.  

DH did the diet with me and lost 10 pounds -- not even trying.  

Quoting cailliermommy:

Watch your carb intake. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes & went on a strick diet to control. After having my daughter I stayed on my diet. I have lost 40lbs without much exercise other than running after my kids and housework. Good Luck.

WHITELIGHTJENNY
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Breastfeding does not help u lose weight at all!!! I'm on my 4th baby bfng and it didn't help me lose weight at all. I always gained about 40 to 80 lbs while prego and always lost it afterwards but it took a lot of dieting n time. I just eat les n take prenates. Drink plenty of fluids and feed baby food, homemeade is what I did, I feel its bettr.
bpryce
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I cut out all carbs from starches (not veggies or fruits) and cut out all added sugars. My diet is approx 65% veggies, 20%meat/protein, and 15% dairy. The weight is falling off and im not having any supply issues.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)