Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
I was wondering if anyone has tips/advice about losing weight while breastfeeding. Any healthy eating suggestions and exercises. I am overweight and breastfeeding alone hasn't help shed weight.
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:57 AM
Replies (11-20):
cailliermommy
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this

That is really awesome about your husband.

My GD diet was 30grams for breakfast....2hrs later 15grams for snack...2hrs later 45grams for lunch...2hrs later 15 grams for snack...3hrs later 45grams for dinner...2hrs later 45grams for bedtime snack. Always had a protein with both meals and snacks. Completely took sugars out of my diet and increased my water intake.

I feel so great and I am still lossing :-) I weighted myself last week. I was 165lbs. Super excited!!

Quoting anxiousschk:

This is what I was going to suggest.  My GD diet was 30 grams of carbs at breakfast, 60 for lunch and dinner.  Then 2-3 snacks with 15-30 grams of carbs.  Each time I ate I needed to try and get in at least a serving of protein.  (I found this difficult with snacks but easy with meals.) 

I didn't watch calories at all.  

DH did the diet with me and lost 10 pounds -- not even trying.  

Quoting cailliermommy:

Watch your carb intake. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes & went on a strick diet to control. After having my daughter I stayed on my diet. I have lost 40lbs without much exercise other than running after my kids and housework. Good Luck.

cherise8706
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I had a nutritionist tell me just eat healthy, drink lots of water and excercise for 30min a day(even a 30 min walk) and u will lose weight in no time, u urn calories bfeeding anyways

Denisethedaring
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know...I burned weight off like crazy while breastfeeding.  I agree with anyone and everyone who said STAY HYDRATED, that's most important!  I'm not sure why some women do like I did and some either don't lose at all or even gain...luck?  different metabolisms?  Different milk production rates?  (I was overproducing like crazy, partly on purpose so I could pump and store milk like a fiend in preparation for returning to work)

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:26 AM
For some, it does help them lose weight. It didn't help me either, but we can't just say that it isn't true at all. It just isn't true for everyone.

Quoting WHITELIGHTJENNY:

Breastfeding does not help u lose weight at all!!! I'm on my 4th baby bfng and it didn't help me lose weight at all. I always gained about 40 to 80 lbs while prego and always lost it afterwards but it took a lot of dieting n time. I just eat les n take prenates. Drink plenty of fluids and feed baby food, homemeade is what I did, I feel its bettr.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyprinc3ss3s
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:51 AM
Thanks Mommas for the advice I will apply some of these changes and update any progress :)
Mitzi31
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I got the Leslie Sansone walking work outs. It doesn't sound intense but when you've been pregnant and hadn't done much for over 9 months you don't realize how much stamina you lose plus she walks fast and it's relatively easy even though you'll work up a sweat. They are like 15 min walks. There are different videos but I got the one that had the one mile, 2 mile, 3mile, etc... that was I could pick my time limit since dd keeps me pretty busy and I don't have a lot of time.

I lost all my baby weight within the first 3 weeks and then I started gaining. I'm up 10 lbs now and I HAVE to lose it. I was eating really bad too though. I was hungry all the time and eating anything in front of me. Sometimes I'd eat 2 meals in one sitting. I've stopped that now and it's just getting the weight off. BFing can burn calories but you HAVE to burn more than you're taking in to lose weight. But of course you still have to eat enough for baby it's just picking good choices.

Good luck! I'm right there with ya! :-)

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Make healthy food choices and exercise daily. Since you are overweight, you might be used to taking in a lot more calories and eating too large of portions.
If that's the case, as it is for most, you'll need to do a little more than "eat to hunger" since your body is used to overeating and will continue to demand enough food to keep you at your current weight.

I know nobody wants to hear it, but losing weight usually involves suffering through at least a little bit of hunger since losing weight involves burning more calories than you take in and the body's natural response is to send you a hunger signal and save the fat on you for "famine". The body doesn't know that that time isn't coming, so it still tries to preserve energy and tells you to eat more.

So figure out how many calories you should ideally be consuming daily and start keeping track. It helps me to plan ahead what I'll be eating.

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:36 AM
I think like everything, it's genetics aka luck! I've got insane oversupply (youngest weighed 23 pounds at 6 months on my milk alone and that's with older brother still nursing as well), he's about 36 pounds now that he's 2 and still nurses a lot. And I've slowly GAINED weight since he was born :-( I run every single day and track my calories, never ever going over 1800, usually far less.
If you can gain weight tandem nursing two giants while exercising and limiting calories, I donno what else you can do!

Quoting Denisethedaring:

I don't know...I burned weight off like crazy while breastfeeding.  I agree with anyone and everyone who said STAY HYDRATED, that's most important!  I'm not sure why some women do like I did and some either don't lose at all or even gain...luck?  different metabolisms?  Different milk production rates?  (I was overproducing like crazy, partly on purpose so I could pump and store milk like a fiend in preparation for returning to work)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
07lilmama1108
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this
A friend of mine was unable to loose until after her son weaned. She gained 70 lbs during the pregnancy and dropped a few after but everything fell off as soon as her ds was done. I loose everything instantly because of my overactive thyroid.
Gl mama!! Looks like there's a lot of tips here!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommaoftwo
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Another thing may be that you are not eating enough.

Seriously, when I track my calories I found that I am almost never hit the "cut off" without really trying to.

I look to that number as a goal, I try to get as close to the number as I can without going over

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)