Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

8 months and I want to stop

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:18 AM
  • 20 Replies
Okay so my lo is 8 months old and I am about to sto bf because I can't deal with only getting four hrs of sleep on a good night. He is feeding 12 tomes a day, he was doing 8-10. I get no hel with him. What can I do. He is gaining weight and has lots of wet diaers
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Thoughtfulmommy
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:41 AM
Try spacing out the feedings, so he is eating more at fewer intervals. He is big enough now not to be nursing 12 times a day. Is he on solids? Breast milk should be his main nutrition at this point, but he is also starting to need more calories. If he is eating every 2 hours, try to add 15 minutes in between those feedings and then gradually a bit more time.They can go 3-4 hours at a time and they will be fine. It is really hard if you aren't getting enough help/support from others, but stay strong and do what is best for you and the baby. If you do decide to give up breastfeeding, remember that those first six months were the most important and you have given your baby what is best up until this point. :-)
shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:48 AM
3 moms liked this
As far as sleeping goes try cosleeping. This way when he's hungry he can just latch on and be on his way, you don't even need to fully wake up. I don't agree with tryin to space out feedings and offering more solids like pp. that could just cause more issues and him waking more at night to nurse if he's not getting it during the day. Also before 1 solids are just for fun, not for nutrition. So make sure he's nursing before every solids offering and if he's getting juice or anything I would cut that out during the day and replace it with a nursing session. Just try to remember they are only this little once.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
YzmaRocks
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:44 AM
2 moms liked this
Weaning does not guarantee sleep. My oldest night weaned before his first birthday (his idea) and still woke up multiple times per night until he was 2.5 years old. Also, at this age, if he is hungry at night you would have to give him a bottle anyway. Completely up to you what you want to do, just be aware that weaning doesn't equal sleep.
KJH78
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:02 AM

You've done great getting to 8 months. I would add in solids to supplement the nursing. Don't beat yourself up. You do what you need to do for you both. If you can continue to give him some breastmilk a few times a day a little is better than none! You can add it to cereal, put it in a bottle, etc.

moroccanmommy
by Robin on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this
You have come so far.......don't give in

Sleeping patterns of your baby sounds normal. My DD still bf at least twice every night. Could be a spurt or teething. When my lo is getting teeth she nurses like a NB.
hugs....everyone feels this way sometimes
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Hang in there.  How often is he nursing during the day?  How often at night?  When Nathan was that age, I figured out that he was so interested in the world during the day that he was only nursing enough to just get by and then making up for the rest of the milk he needed at night.  I started offering more often during the day and he was able to go longer stretches at night.  I figured that nursing for 5-10 minutes every hour when the sun was up was better than every hr when it was dark and I wanted to sleep.  It was a stage and it passed, and by 10 months he was back to nursing only 3-4 times per night without me having to offer constantly during the day.

Do you think he might be teething?  Do you have some amber for him?  I seriously can't believe that he's already 8 months old!  It seems like he was a tiny newborn just yesterday.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:43 AM
I agree!!!

Solids right before bed is likely to backfire. We know as adults that if we eat a sandwich 5 minutes before bed, we feel crampy and gassy and restless as your body tries to digest food all night while its supposed to be resting. And please, no cereal in a bottle. It is a choking hazard and advised against.

Quoting shortyali:

As far as sleeping goes try cosleeping. This way when he's hungry he can just latch on and be on his way, you don't even need to fully wake up. I don't agree with tryin to space out feedings and offering more solids like pp. that could just cause more issues and him waking more at night to nurse if he's not getting it during the day. Also before 1 solids are just for fun, not for nutrition. So make sure he's nursing before every solids offering and if he's getting juice or anything I would cut that out during the day and replace it with a nursing session. Just try to remember they are only this little once.
mefingas
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:31 AM
He gets some baby food but not much since he doesnt like it, so not even 1/4 of a jar a day. And he gets maybe 2-3 T of baby cereal with water. I dont mind him eating every two hours during the day, my daughter did that and i bf her till she self weaned at 17 months but she also slept thru the night. I just wish he would get a 4 gr stretch like he did before his first two teeth popped up. He has slept 8 hrs straight before butthat happens once a week. And he gets no juice

Quoting shortyali:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mefingas
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:34 AM
I try to feed him at least 3 hrs before his bed time if i give him any baby food to try. And he has never had a bottle. Dh wont have us do cosleeping, and when i bring ds to bed usually the last feeding before i have to wake up i cant sleep with him.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

I agree!!!

Solids right before bed is likely to backfire. We know as adults that if we eat a sandwich 5 minutes before bed, we feel crampy and gassy and restless as your body tries to digest food all night while its supposed to be resting. And please, no cereal in a bottle. It is a choking hazard and advised against.

Quoting shortyali:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mefingas
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:39 AM
He eats every 90-120 min but if he is upset and ive changed his diaper and put one of the soft minky on his butt, which he loves i offer him boob. I have a amber necklace but i took it off when his first two teeth broke thru two months ago after him wearing it for over a month. I will have to have him wear it again. I am guessing it is teeth. If i can make it to 1 year i will be happy. Who knew cloth diapering would be easier then bfing

Quoting K8wizzo:

Hang in there.  How often is he nursing during the day?  How often at night?  When Nathan was that age, I figured out that he was so interested in the world during the day that he was only nursing enough to just get by and then making up for the rest of the milk he needed at night.  I started offering more often during the day and he was able to go longer stretches at night.  I figured that nursing for 5-10 minutes every hour when the sun was up was better than every hr when it was dark and I wanted to sleep.  It was a stage and it passed, and by 10 months he was back to nursing only 3-4 times per night without me having to offer constantly during the day.

Do you think he might be teething?  Do you have some amber for him?  I seriously can't believe that he's already 8 months old!  It seems like he was a tiny newborn just yesterday.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)