Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Slight vent.

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:01 AM
  • 37 Replies
I feel like I have no business breast feeding. It takes my daughter at least five minutes on average to get a good latch. In the process, she pushes and turns away or latches and spits me out. It's kind of frustrating. I feel like she should be better at it by now. Maybe I'm expecting too much in a week.

I wish my hospital had a better LC. She was so condescending and did little more than hand me some papers to read. The nurses did a better job helping me get going. If it wasn't for them, I wouldn't even be breast feeding.

Maybe I'm doing good and just need more sleep... Idk.

Thanks for letting me know I'm doing ok, everyone. It just seems way more Intense than it really is. I don't personally know anyone who breast fed their babies so I don't know what to expect and I've got zero help if I don't come here and ask a question. Or vent my feelings of inadequacy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:15 AM
How old is she? Has she had any bottles or pacifiers? How many diapers a day is he having?

This could all be normal behavior depending on the age.
Mrsfarr
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:22 AM
She's a week old. We tried giving her a bottle once but she was pretty offended by it. We haven't tried again since because it was worse than the small struggle I have getting her to latch.

Quoting shortyali:

How old is she? Has she had any bottles or pacifiers? How many diapers a day is he having?

A.J.s_mommy
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:24 AM
It took us almost a month to get it right!
shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:54 AM
At a week old this is normal. She still getting used to everything. Just relax and look for the first clue of hunger. For my DD it was when she would try to root, with DS2 its when he's awake, lol. My DS was a different story, I do not remember much from his first year.

If you can try taking a bath with her. Put her in your chest and let her crawl to your breast. They can do this, I wouldn't have believe it if i didn't see it myself with my babies.

Quoting Mrsfarr:

She's a week old. We tried giving her a bottle once but she was pretty offended by it. We haven't tried again since because it was worse than the small struggle I have getting her to latch.

Quoting shortyali:

Mrsfarr
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:07 AM
Her first hunger cue is trying to eat her fingers. Which is annoying sometimes because I have to fight for mouth space with her little hands and she somehow manages to have twice as much strength as I do.
I've put her on my chest before but she seemed pretty lost. She kept looking around with her mouth wide open and not doing much else. Maybe I'll try again when she wakes up.

Thank you.

Quoting shortyali:

At a week old this is normal. She still getting used to everything. Just relax and look for the first clue of hunger. For my DD it was when she would try to root, with DS2 its when he's awake, lol. My DS was a different story, I do not remember much from his first year.

If you can try taking a bath with her. Put her in your chest and let her crawl to your breast. They can do this, I wouldn't have believe it if i didn't see it myself with my babies.

Quoting Mrsfarr:

Quoting shortyali:

shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:12 AM
That's what we are here for. DS2 also thinks his fingers need milk too. For the first month I would swaddle him to nurse him. If I'm laying in my back and he's over me then his hands are busy and he can't get them in his mouth.

Quoting Mrsfarr:

Her first hunger cue is trying to eat her fingers. Which is annoying sometimes because I have to fight for mouth space with her little hands and she somehow manages to have twice as much strength as I do.

I've put her on my chest before but she seemed pretty lost. She kept looking around with her mouth wide open and not doing much else. Maybe I'll try again when she wakes up.

Thank you.

Quoting shortyali:

Quoting Mrsfarr:

Quoting shortyali:

KJH78
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Hang in there....just make sure you're following the steps. I found when I got home I just let her latch how she did and she wasn't doing so with a wide open mouth so it cause horrible soreness for me. Once I made sure she had a wide mouth we got a good latch and it went well. If the latch is not good take her off and do it again! It gets easier with time...next week you won't even remember having an issue!

Autumn19
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:17 AM
dont give up it gets better with time. For the first 2 months its going to seem like all baby does is eat. But soon it will space out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrsfarr
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:13 AM
She more or less wont latch badly. If its not in there right, she breaks off and fusses and that's part of what makes it such a struggle. Instead of letting me try again immediately, I'm fighting with her to get her hands out of the way and open her mouth again. The only time I ever have any kind of soreness is when she starts falling asleep and relaxing off of me. But by then she's so out of it, I can just pull my nipple out of her mouth and she (sometimes) drifts off.

Quoting KJH78:

Hang in there....just make sure you're following the steps. I found when I got home I just let her latch how she did and she wasn't doing so with a wide open mouth so it cause horrible soreness for me. Once I made sure she had a wide mouth we got a good latch and it went well. If the latch is not good take her off and do it again! It gets easier with time...next week you won't even remember having an issue!

VintageWife
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Have you tried the football hold for a better latch? I had to do that with my second and had to tell my bff to do it recently. It worked for both of us and once the baby learned to latch that way, we were able to return them to a normal cradle hold.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN