Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I feel like I have no business breast feeding. It takes my daughter at least five minutes on average to get a good latch. In the process, she pushes and turns away or latches and spits me out. It's kind of frustrating. I feel like she should be better at it by now. Maybe I'm expecting too much in a week.

I wish my hospital had a better LC. She was so condescending and did little more than hand me some papers to read. The nurses did a better job helping me get going. If it wasn't for them, I wouldn't even be breast feeding.

Maybe I'm doing good and just need more sleep... Idk.

Thanks for letting me know I'm doing ok, everyone. It just seems way more Intense than it really is. I don't personally know anyone who breast fed their babies so I don't know what to expect and I've got zero help if I don't come here and ask a question. Or vent my feelings of inadequacy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:01 AM
Replies (11-20):
Mrsfarr
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:20 AM
I can only get her to latch in the football hold. Everything else is too overwhelming for her cuz I have stupid breasts.

Quoting VintageWife:

Have you tried the football hold for a better latch? I had to do that with my second and had to tell my bff to do it recently. It worked for both of us and once the baby learned to latch that way, we were able to return them to a normal cradle hold.

VintageWife
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Oh honey, your breasts are not stupid. They are beautiful and perfectly designed to do this job for your baby. Sometimes a baby is really excited and it's hard for them to latch. Has she been checked for a tongue tie? I hear that makes it harder for them to latch. None of mine had that. However, like I said, my second couldn't latch either but he went on to be my longest nurser (3.5 yrs) after we got it figured out :) 

Quoting Mrsfarr:

I can only get her to latch in the football hold. Everything else is too overwhelming for her cuz I have stupid breasts.

Quoting VintageWife:

Have you tried the football hold for a better latch? I had to do that with my second and had to tell my bff to do it recently. It worked for both of us and once the baby learned to latch that way, we were able to return them to a normal cradle hold.

Mrsfarr
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:34 AM
By stupid, I mean they don't really fit the standard. They're really large and my nipples more or less point downward. I have to hold her to one side and pretty much dangle into her mouth.
I wouldn't even know where to go to check her for ties.

Quoting VintageWife:

Oh honey, your breasts are not stupid. They are beautiful and perfectly designed to do this job for your baby. Sometimes a baby is really excited and it's hard for them to latch. Has she been checked for a tongue tie? I hear that makes it harder for them to latch. None of mine had that. However, like I said, my second couldn't latch either but he went on to be my longest nurser (3.5 yrs) after we got it figured out :) 

Quoting Mrsfarr:

Quoting VintageWife:

VintageWife
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Does she have a pediatrician? Does the hospital have you come back after a week? I know that one around here does that. Can you google the LLL for your area and see if there is a LC close enough to come check on her? 

Quoting Mrsfarr:

By stupid, I mean they don't really fit the standard. They're really large and my nipples more or less point downward. I have to hold her to one side and pretty much dangle into her mouth.

Quoting VintageWife:

Quoting Mrsfarr:

Quoting VintageWife:

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:50 AM

My odd would get so excited about nursing at that age that when I tried latching her she would have her mouth wide and be bouncing her head like a bobble head doll trying to land her mouth on my breast lol.  It's funny now but then it was incredibly frustrating.  I think you are doing great :)   As she gets older her cues will become more pronounced, and she will (briefly) get more focused on nursing.  With her hands, swaddling is one way to keep her hands out of her mouth when she is nursing, if you have a chunky necklace or bracelet or large pendant you can put that near her hands when nursing so she can explore that instead.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:04 AM

HUGS momma, it takes a month or so for some moms and babies to get the hang of nursing.

Keep it up, your baby deserves the best

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Quoting Mrsfarr:

Don't just pull your nipple out of her mouth. That will cause harm to your nipples. Slide your little finger into the corner of her mouth until the suction is broken. Breaking the latch will save you so much pain and suffering and help you to be able to bf longer.
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:09 AM
She's only a week old mamma, she never had to do anything before this week! Doesn't it take you longer than a week to get good at something new? And you've got a lot more life experience than she does! Plenty of bottle fed babies take a few weeks to get good at drinking their bottles, it's normal no matter how you feed them.
Hang in there, you're doing just fine :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Those sound like standard breasts to my knowledge. "Standard" is not a Victoria's Secret model, a Hollywood actress, or a 16 year old girl!
I've got overly large breasts, nipples face mostly south and I've bf all 3 kiddos so far.
It's not your breasts, it's your baby being a normal baby.

Quoting Mrsfarr:

Quoting VintageWife:

Quoting Mrsfarr:

Quoting VintageWife:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:15 AM
Aw sweetie! She's a week old! She (and you) are learning a new skill.

Think about it this way: walking is "is natural", but you still have to learn, right? :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)