Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
I feel like I have no business breast feeding. It takes my daughter at least five minutes on average to get a good latch. In the process, she pushes and turns away or latches and spits me out. It's kind of frustrating. I feel like she should be better at it by now. Maybe I'm expecting too much in a week.

I wish my hospital had a better LC. She was so condescending and did little more than hand me some papers to read. The nurses did a better job helping me get going. If it wasn't for them, I wouldn't even be breast feeding.

Maybe I'm doing good and just need more sleep... Idk.

Thanks for letting me know I'm doing ok, everyone. It just seems way more Intense than it really is. I don't personally know anyone who breast fed their babies so I don't know what to expect and I've got zero help if I don't come here and ask a question. Or vent my feelings of inadequacy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:01 AM
Replies (21-30):
MommaTasha1003
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:16 AM

your doing fine.. it will take 1month or a lil more to become a pro at it...just keep it up! :)

FebPenguins
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:53 AM

keep trying! Don't give up! Baby has to learn how to "do it all" turn her head, suckle, breath and swalllow all at the same time. It takes pratice and patience from mom and baby! Do you have a nursing pillow? My bobby has been a life saver! Make sure you drink lots of water and eating well and resting! Take this time for you and baby, you will never get it back.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Quoting Mrsfarr:

I feel like I have no business breast feeding.
You birthed a baby, you have breasts... every business.
It takes my daughter at least five minutes on average to get a good latch.
Only that? **grin** Mine was far far far worse in his early weeks... he would refuse and it was no less than 30 minutes each time.
In the process, she pushes and turns away or latches and spits me out. It's kind of frustrating. I feel like she should be better at it by now. Maybe I'm expecting too much in a week.
WAY too much. That's like expecting her to come home with a PhD after one week in kindergarten. **smile** You're QUITE normal!

I wish my hospital had a better LC. She was so condescending and did little more than hand me some papers to read. The nurses did a better job helping me get going. If it wasn't for them, I wouldn't even be breast feeding.
Maybe I'm doing good and just need more sleep... Idk.

http://www.ilca.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3432

Check out that link. It's the lactation consultant finder from ILCA.org. Loook for one with the designation IBCLC.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:47 PM

All normal. NOT STUPID. Don't know where you're getting your standard from, but most nursing moms I've dealt with over the years are the same. Quoting Mrsfarr:

By stupid, I mean they don't really fit the standard. They're really large and my nipples more or less point downward. I have to hold her to one side and pretty much dangle into her mouth.
I wouldn't even know where to go to check her for ties.

Mrsfarr
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Any other breast I've seen looked up all happy like. Mine look all sad to me... Staring at the floor in shame.

Quoting gdiamante:

All normal. NOT STUPID. Don't know where you're getting your standard from, but most nursing moms I've dealt with over the years are the same. Quoting Mrsfarr:

By stupid, I mean they don't really fit the standard. They're really large and my nipples more or less point downward. I have to hold her to one side and pretty much dangle into her mouth.

catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:51 PM

You are doing fine.. hang in there, mama!  ((hugs)) 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

Mitzi31
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:39 AM

OMG Yes! THe first week I was a hornomal basketcase. NO ONE tells you about that though! lol. We didn't have a good latch either. We got a LC to come out to the house. She'd just started so we got a cheap price and she was so sweet. She wouldn't leave till I was good and comfortable. Even though I still hurt we had a good latch finally. The first 2 weeks are the hardest. It DOES get better I promise! Just takes some time for everyone to adjust. :-) You'll do fine!

shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:45 AM
Mine are the same. They point down and always have.

Quoting Mrsfarr:

Any other breast I've seen looked up all happy like. Mine look all sad to me... Staring at the floor in shame.

Quoting gdiamante:

Mrsfarr
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:49 AM
I expected hormones. I didn't expect to fall asleep while attempting to get a good latch or feeling like my vagina just went three rounds with mike Tyson. Or that EVERYTHING would have milk on it. And no one told me I'd lose control of my bladder...

Quoting Mitzi31:

OMG Yes! THe first week I was a hornomal basketcase. NO ONE tells you about that though! lol. We didn't have a good latch either. We got a LC to come out to the house. She'd just started so we got a cheap price and she was so sweet. She wouldn't leave till I was good and comfortable. Even though I still hurt we had a good latch finally. The first 2 weeks are the hardest. It DOES get better I promise! Just takes some time for everyone to adjust. :-) You'll do fine!

tigerlily75
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Don't give up! This sounds normal to me, some babies need to learn to latch others pick it up right away. My lo had a super strong latch from day one (made me bleed on both nipples before my milk came in).  We had shallow latch issues later because my nipples stick out alot but after 1 1/2 months she was latching on again the right way. Hang in there it does get better and totally worth it. Sorry your lc sucks, a good one should watch you nurse and help reposition baby if necessary.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN