Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
I feel like I have no business breast feeding. It takes my daughter at least five minutes on average to get a good latch. In the process, she pushes and turns away or latches and spits me out. It's kind of frustrating. I feel like she should be better at it by now. Maybe I'm expecting too much in a week.

I wish my hospital had a better LC. She was so condescending and did little more than hand me some papers to read. The nurses did a better job helping me get going. If it wasn't for them, I wouldn't even be breast feeding.

Maybe I'm doing good and just need more sleep... Idk.

Thanks for letting me know I'm doing ok, everyone. It just seems way more Intense than it really is. I don't personally know anyone who breast fed their babies so I don't know what to expect and I've got zero help if I don't come here and ask a question. Or vent my feelings of inadequacy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:01 AM
Replies (31-37):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Ah. The women in my family called "happy" breasts pitiful and sincerely doubted their ability to nourish an infant. (Not true, by the way.)

Quoting Mrsfarr:

Any other breast I've seen looked up all happy like. 
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

**smile** It's all in the fine print of the Mommy Contract.

Babies have such excellent PR agents that no one knows before pregnancy that they will never ever sleep a full night again in their life, that yes, they will lose bladder control (and expect leaks when sneezing for the rest of your life), that clumps of hair will start falling out a few months postpartum (body making up for normal loss that didn't happen in pregnancy) and that for all you go through... the child won't ever ever ever appreciate it and indeed you'll be doing your job best when the child says, "I HATE YOU YOU'RE THE MEANEST MOMMY IN THE WORLD!"

A collection of irritations... mitigated by occasional amazingly brilliant flashes of beauty.

Quoting Mrsfarr:

I expected hormones. I didn't expect to fall asleep while attempting to get a good latch or feeling like my vagina just went three rounds with mike Tyson. Or that EVERYTHING would have milk on it. And no one told me I'd lose control of my bladder...

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:04 PM

You just reminded me why I am not sure I want another lol.  Pit induction, episiotomy, oversupply and oal from pumping for my preemie....*shudder*   Hang in there, it gets better I promise.  For the soreness, I recommend an ice pack and a pillow.  Constantly.  After my second episiotomy I remember asking for more of that peri-foam they hand out, and the nurse told me I was using too much and I shouldn't need any more, a few days after birth.  Clearly she had never had an episiotomy lol.  The pain will go away (it took me eight weeks both times), your supply will regulate and the leaking will stop, you will stop falling asleep EVERY time ;) 

Quoting Mrsfarr:

I expected hormones. I didn't expect to fall asleep while attempting to get a good latch or feeling like my vagina just went three rounds with mike Tyson. Or that EVERYTHING would have milk on it. And no one told me I'd lose control of my bladder...

Quoting Mitzi31:

OMG Yes! THe first week I was a hornomal basketcase. NO ONE tells you about that though! lol. We didn't have a good latch either. We got a LC to come out to the house. She'd just started so we got a cheap price and she was so sweet. She wouldn't leave till I was good and comfortable. Even though I still hurt we had a good latch finally. The first 2 weeks are the hardest. It DOES get better I promise! Just takes some time for everyone to adjust. :-) You'll do fine!

CafeMom Tickers
AKmom11
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:16 PM
It took us quite sometime to get it right. She came home from the hospital at 17 days old. Took us about a month of being home to get it all figured out and have the process go smoothly. She liked to nurse while laying down when she was a newborn. Still prefers it that way when sick. I'd say try different positions and approaches. Patience mama. It will click. But I understand how frustrating it can be. Hang in there!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrsfarr
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:20 PM
I've tried everything at least twice. She's just a football hold kind of kid. My body just doesn't have the proper angles for anything else.

Quoting AKmom11:

It took us quite sometime to get it right. She came home from the hospital at 17 days old. Took us about a month of being home to get it all figured out and have the process go smoothly. She liked to nurse while laying down when she was a newborn. Still prefers it that way when sick. I'd say try different positions and approaches. Patience mama. It will click. But I understand how frustrating it can be. Hang in there!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mitzi31
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Yep and lack of sleep doesn't help ANY of that stuff. After the first 2 weeks that got better and I started learning how to take naps WITH her. That was hard cause I wasn't used to that. It gets better though. It's just all of it happening all at once. And yea, lol My vag felt that way too. I fell asleep many times while trying to nurse. It was so exhausting especially when they want to do it all the time. The first week she wouldn't sleep longer than 30 min without wanting to nurse. I didn't think I'd ever sleep again! lol. Of course I'm TTC again. Guess I'm a glutton for punishment, lol.

Good luck! It'll go by before ya know it even though it doesn't seem like it now. :-)

Quoting Mrsfarr:

Quoting Mitzi31:

OMG Yes! THe first week I was a hornomal basketcase. NO ONE tells you about that though! lol. We didn't have a good latch either. We got a LC to come out to the house. She'd just started so we got a cheap price and she was so sweet. She wouldn't leave till I was good and comfortable. Even though I still hurt we had a good latch finally. The first 2 weeks are the hardest. It DOES get better I promise! Just takes some time for everyone to adjust. :-) You'll do fine!

oliver92
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Try calling your local wic office or health office, they probably have a capable lactation consultant that will come to your home and help you.  Sometimes just the smallest change can make the difference.  Ollie never latched as well as my first and it was hard at first i kept wondering what the heck i was doing wrong, I got help and it was a simple adjustment in how i was holding him (first was much larger and head was huge, but i was trying to do it the same way) made our lives and my nipples so much better.  we bf successfully for over a year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)