Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Do Dirty Moms Equal Unhealthy Babies?

'Dirty' Breastfeeding Moms Make Babies Sick, Says Stupidest Politician Ever

Posted by Kiri Blakeley

Just picture something for a moment. Imagine President Obama saying that babies get diarrhea because mothers don't wash their breasts. Can you imagine the outrage that would ensue? Well, that just happened. Not Obama, thankfully, he'd never say something like that! And surely if he did, Michelle would wallop him. But the prime minister of Egypt reportedly said on TV that babies in rural areas who get sick and have issues like diarrhea get it because their "ignorant" mothers have dirty breasts. Yes, this guy actually runs a country.

The prime minister, Hisham Kandil, was talking about rural areas of Egypt that have a high rate of infant sickness. The people live in poverty without clean running water. So perhaps there is something to be said for unclean water causing infant diarrhea -- especially if the mom is drinking it. But instead of discussing this, he reportedly said that mothers are "too ignorant to know how to clean their breasts before breastfeeding."

Well, honestly, if the water is unclean, how would they clean their breasts properly anyway? Not to mention that breastfeeding seems like the most proper way to prevent diarrhea rather than giving babies any kind of formula -- not that this would necessarily be available in these regions -- which might be mixed with bad water.

So why not blame it on the water? Why not blame it on the lack of resources -- rather than blaming it on "ignorant" moms and their "dirty" breasts? Why not blame it on a country with extremely poor areas where the people have no social safety net and no education rather than blaming it on moms -- and implying they're just unwashed idiots? Surely if they could do better or knew how to do better, they would.

Sounds like another out of touch politician who has no idea what women -- especially poor women -- have to do to get their babies fed.

Do you think unclean breasts can lead to sick babies?

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:39 AM
Replies (11-20):
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Sounds like he doesnt want to take responsibility for the unclean water in their country......lets just blame the problem on everyone else....so sad :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Denisethedaring
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:12 PM
2 moms liked this

Honestly, if your breasts are so dirty that they make your baby sick, that means your environment overall is so dirty that it's making your baby sick.  :(

jadsmummy
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:13 AM

I read into this more. By ignorant he didn't mean trashy he meant uneducated. And he is correct in rural Egypt many of the poor are uneducated on basic hygiene. The translation was bad into English. 

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:53 AM
2 moms liked this
So then mothers will mix formula with unclean water and feed THAT to their babies!@!?
kblpooh
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:58 AM
This. Last year when we had an issue with our city water and they thought it was possibly contaminated, I washed my breast with bottled water after taking a shower, to make sure the baby didn't get sick while nursing.

Quoting christineT79:

OMG. That is the stupidist thing I've ever read. If the water is too dirty to drink how can they wash their breasts with it. If the water is causing the mom's to get diarrhea & then the babies get diarrhea it's painfully obvious that the dirty water is causing the problem.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this

ummm.... no

Breasts are self-cleaning--montgomery glands are cool like that.

aannggiiee
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:26 PM

I have heard so many things about Egypt and how horrible they are to women. ugh! He seems like the ignorant one in all of this! 

oliver92
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:11 PM

that is so stupid, my son is really into documentaries about africa and anything to do with animals and we watch so many from africa where they show the women bare breasted and they are all walking around bfing their babies.  I find it amazing and beautiful, can you imagine, your breasts always uncovered in that heat and sun, and the horrible conditions they live in, they show some of the water and dirt huts they live it, wow, those are some devoted moms. they will be bfing multiple children at once and co bfing.

cemcnair
by Courtney on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:15 PM
This.

Quoting FebPenguins:

banging head into wall

Starshine-bela
by Leah on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:19 PM
He sounds pretty ignorant himself. One of the most ridiculous things I ever heard
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)