Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Chunky spit up?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:20 PM
  • 8 Replies
She's 9 days old. In the past few days she has started spitting up more and more and it went from watery milky consistency to more of chunky consistency and she will wake up screaming until she spits up and then she's fine. This can't be normal can it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Ninjascreenname
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Yep. Make sure you burp her extra. My three week old does it if I don't get all of his "burps" out.

Eta- until he was born I didn't know that babies could spit up and it come out their nose. Talk about a panic attack the first time he did it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Sounds like milk curdles. Nothing alarming in itself. Maybe she just needs to nurse a little more uptight or get some extra burping before she's set down. Are you pretty full? Does she ever choke or sputter or break latch when your milk first lets down?
mrswhite417
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:26 PM
It just worries me bc dh had pyloric stenosis and had to have surgery at 6 months old ):
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Spit up is normal. All liquid diet, immature digestive system, laying down constantly...how could they not?
In my experience, chunky meant it had stayed down awhile, watery was right after eating.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Pyloric stenosis is NOTHING like spitting up other than it involves food coming back up.

Quoting mrswhite417:

It just worries me bc dh had pyloric stenosis and had to have surgery at 6 months old ):
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Sure, chunky was further along digestion than the watery puddle trapped by an air bubble and not going down yet. Yum.

Quoting larissalarie:

Spit up is normal. All liquid diet, immature digestive system, laying down constantly...how could they not?

In my experience, chunky meant it had stayed down awhile, watery was right after eating.
mrswhite417
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:29 PM
I've been pretty full and definitely haven't regulated yet and her cluster feeds all night don't help for daytime feedings. But she doesn't seem to gag or choke.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Sounds like milk curdles. Nothing alarming in itself. Maybe she just needs to nurse a little more uptight or get some extra burping before she's set down. Are you pretty full? Does she ever choke or sputter or break latch when your milk first lets down?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswhite417
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:42 PM
I know. Dd had to be checked at 6 weeks and 6 months even though she never showed any symptoms. So will this baby.

Quoting larissalarie:

Pyloric stenosis is NOTHING like spitting up other than it involves food coming back up.

Quoting mrswhite417:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)