Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

working moms vs sahm

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:27 PM
  • 18 Replies
Sorry another post......

Do you think that sahms nurse(child led wean) their children longer than working moms?

If both moms let their baby wean, whose baby would nurse longer? Do you think it makes a difference?

( I'm going thru a divorce and I have to go back to work. Ds will b 10months and I don't want him to graduallu become less interested in nursing because I'm not there all day every day. Selfish much ?)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:36 PM
Well under 1 bm or ff needs to be the primary portion of their diet after 1yo you can limit it to whatever you want.
That said I found nursing and working easier then sahm nursing. I nursed dd1 until 2yo while working fulltime/overtime stopped working still nursing at 3yr3mo. Dd2 I've been a sahm still nursing at 10mo
LLbaby143
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Good to know! I worry that me working will cause him distress in the long run. Thank you!!!

Quoting melindabelcher:

Well under 1 bm or ff needs to be the primary portion of their diet after 1yo you can limit it to whatever you want.

That said I found nursing and working easier then sahm nursing. I nursed dd1 until 2yo while working fulltime/overtime stopped working still nursing at 3yr3mo. Dd2 I've been a sahm still nursing at 10mo

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:08 PM
1 mom liked this

My SIL is the breadwinner in their family, big business woman, lots of business trips etc. She nursed all 5 of her kids well into toddler-hood, I know she weaned her youngest at 3 1/2 (he would have gone longer on his own).

My other SIL divorced when baby was 9 months old. Mom working, baby had regular visits with dad, including overights starting at 2 yrs, and she nursed for 3 years.

Mom going back to work and/or baby/toddler having visits with dad does not need to have any effect on how long the child nurses.

It is a great way to stay connected and reconnect after separations!

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:11 PM
I've done both (work and stay home) all my kids have been ebf, it makes no difference if Mom is committed to it she'll do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:14 PM
4 moms liked this
I find nursing to be a way to reconnect when I come home. I actually think I would be more apt to wean mommy-led if I were home all the time. Being apart makes me WANT to keep my nursling as long as possible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting larissalarie:

I've done both (work and stay home) all my kids have been ebf, it makes no difference if Mom is committed to it she'll do it.

I agree- it is the level of committment, not the vocation.  I will say, I have nursed my odd to twenty months and my ydd is still nursing at twenty six months.  I have worked ft the whole time.  The sahms I know who have bf made it six to nine months tops.  But they were less committed to it than I am, and didn't do what they could have to maintain bfing longer.  I also know wohms who only went six, nine, twelve months for various reasons.  If you are determined to do it, you can go as long as you and baby both want to nurse.

CafeMom Tickers
DragonMother10
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:25 PM
I resent the statements about stay at home moms. It's up to the mother how long she should nurse. Working moms can stop just as easy at 1, 6, 9 months to a year. You can't group everyone into one category. My neighbor is the breadwinner and she stop nursing at 1 month. A friend of mine's girlfriend ended up pumping when they brought the baby home. She works also.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Evil title there! **grin**

Quoting LLbaby143:

Sorry another post......

Do you think that sahms nurse(child led wean) their children longer than working moms?
My experience, in more than a decade in groups like these, is that the working moms tend to go longer terms. I'm not sure why, but some of the things I've observed are feelings of, "I need to be able to do other things" or, "Get this kid OFF me!"
"Paycheck" moms tend not to have the latter feeling so much. Probably because of the separation through the day.

If both moms let their baby wean, whose baby would nurse longer? Do you think it makes a difference?
If both moms allowed self weaning, it would be the same. My observation has been more mom-led weaning among the moms who are home more.

( I'm going thru a divorce and I have to go back to work. Ds will b 10months and I don't want him to graduallu become less interested in nursing because I'm not there all day every day. Selfish much ?)
As stated above... the longest-term nursing moms I've known worked outside the home. Incluiding one who went four years. 

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:31 PM
2 moms liked this
Lol, she's worried about becoming a working Mom impacting her bf relationship. It's valid, there's a big myth that you can't bf if you work out there.
It's completely untrue of course.
If you found offense in her question, that's on you.

Quoting DragonMother10:

I resent the statements about stay at home moms. It's up to the mother how long she should nurse. Working moms can stop just as easy at 1, 6, 9 months to a year. You can't group everyone into one category. My neighbor is the breadwinner and she stop nursing at 1 month. A friend of mine's girlfriend ended up pumping when they brought the baby home. She works also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep. I've been working for YEARS to stamp out that myth!

And it's even easier to nurse and work NOW than it was when I was nursing. In 1999 I had no legal protections for pumping at work. I just did it anyway.

Quoting larissalarie:

there's a big myth that you can't bf if you work out there.
It's completely untrue of course.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN