Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

When Did Your Child Self-Wean? (for those that did it that way)

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:27 PM
  • 61 Replies

Poll

Question: When did your child self-wean?

Options:

18 months-2 years old

2-2.5 years old

2.5-3 years old

3-4 years old

4-5 years old

5 years old +

Can't say yet because I'm still waiting for that to happen!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 96

View Results

The "only" bf 4 years comment in the other post made me wonder, how old is the average self-weaning age IN THIS GROUP? I don't see many that make it til 4, but maybe there's a lot more "in the closet".
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Can I vote twice lol?  My odd weaned at twenty months because I was five months along with my ydd, who is still going very strong at twenty six months.  I fully expect her to just wake up one day and inform me she is done, idk when that will be but cutting it off like that suits her personality lol.

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:43 PM
I'd let you vote twice if I could :-)
I think I'd go with "still waiting" in your case since pregnancy prompted the weaning, I'm not completely positive, but that might not be considered "true" self weaning since there was another thing influencing it.

Quoting preacherskid:

Can I vote twice lol?  My odd weaned at twenty months because I was five months along with my ydd, who is still going very strong at twenty six months.  I fully expect her to just wake up one day and inform me she is done, idk when that will be but cutting it off like that suits her personality lol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaCeleste0722
by Celeste on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I probably should change my answer-one twin self weaned at 3 1/2 and the other twin, I gently encouraged him to wean when he was over 4 1/2. 

mamalusbear
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Yes, at six months my son just refused to breastfeed....at that point, i figured he didn't want to do it so I wasn't going to make him.  I continued to pump for the next eight months after that until he switched to whole cow's milk.  With my next baby I hope he wants to breastfeed a little longer....I think if I could do it again I'd probably see a lactation consultant if he stops before a year.

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:57 PM
Amazing either way!

Quoting MamaCeleste0722:

I probably should change my answer-one twin self weaned at 3 1/2 and the other twin, I gently encouraged him to wean when he was over 4 1/2. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:59 PM
2 moms liked this
Yeah under a year (under 2 really) it's not true self weaning. It means baby was allowed other options like bottles when they refused to nurse and developed a preference for the thing that was easier.
Great job on 6 months though, and I think we all live & learn with each baby! :-)

Quoting mamalusbear:

Yes, at six months my son just refused to breastfeed....at that point, i figured he didn't want to do it so I wasn't going to make him.  I continued to pump for the next eight months after that until he switched to whole cow's milk.  With my next baby I hope he wants to breastfeed a little longer....I think if I could do it again I'd probably see a lactation consultant if he stops before a year.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsRinehart2010
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:00 PM
1 mom liked this

well my youngest is 2 and 2 months and still nursing . So nobody know when the nursing will end lol

PEEK05
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I wanted to but my son chose to stop breastfeeding at 16 months when my milk changed to colostrum completely in preparation for my new baby. :( He absolutely would NOT breastfeed when the transition was 100% completed.  In the beginning of the transition, he immediately nursed less and then when it done, he was done.  I was so heart broken!!

mamalusbear
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:03 PM
2 moms liked this

Yeah, I think I would definitely do things differently....I should have seen a lactation consultant, and I just gave in and let him have a bottle.  Oh well, next time I know better.  He drank breastmilk exclusively until he was 14 months....so I'm glad I was able to do that.  I think that we introduced solids too early...planning on waiting a little longer with the next one.  Live and learn.

Quoting larissalarie:

Yeah under a year (under 2 really) it's not true self weaning. It means baby was allowed other options like bottles when they refused to nurse and developed a preference for the thing that was easier.
Great job on 6 months though, and I think we all live & learn with each baby! :-)

Quoting mamalusbear:

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:04 PM
Aww, pregnancy definitely changes thing for a lot. That's pretty darn close to 18 month though :-)

Quoting PEEK05:

I wanted to but my son chose to stop breastfeeding at 16 months when my milk changed to colostrum completely in preparation for my new baby. :( He absolutely would NOT breastfeed when the transition was 100% completed.  In the beginning of the transition, he immediately nursed less and then when it done, he was done.  I was so heart broken!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)