Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

feeling frustrated with breastfeeding

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:12 PM
  • 15 Replies
I want to breast feed Nellie so bad but she refuses to latch. I use a nipple sheald and she will latch some times but other times she will not. It is so frustrating for me. I just don't get it at all. Any advice would be great
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DragonMother10
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:14 PM
Have you talked with a lactation consultant? Also check for lip tie or tongue tie.
Mrsfarr
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:16 PM
I get frustrated too so you're not alone. If she can't latch, you can still pump and give her the bottle. Any breast milk is good breast milk.
Have you tried different positions/holds with her or making sure you're relaxed before starting? Andi can sense if I'm tense and it makes things harder so I have to sit back, put her on my chest, and relax before I try again.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:17 PM

How old? And how long has this been going on? How did you get started on the shield?

Refusal to latch isn't an uncommon problem; mine refused for the first 14 days of his life and it was quite a struggle. Can you tell us anything about what goes on when your milk lets down, what happens if you pump, and if there's any pattern to when she latches and when she doesn't?

frankiesma530
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:17 PM

are you engorged at all?  I used to have to express some first to make the breast softer before I started when I was first learning.

tlbmrf
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:20 PM

I haven't talk to a LC yet because I feel so judge about it. When she was in the hospital she did so well breast feeding. so I know it is not lip tie or tongue tied so they say. I do pump and put it in a bottle for her now but I want the conection with my baby girl. I feel like I am not as conected with out feeding her from my brests. So much has gone wrong in my little girls short life already I want something to go the way that I planned it to.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Quoting tlbmrf:

I haven't talk to a LC yet because I feel so judge about it.

Find an IBCLC. http://www.ilca.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3337

The only person whose judgment you ever need worry about is the one who actually has the title "Judge" and must be addressed as "Your Honor." Otherwise, don't worry about it.

When she was in the hospital she did so well breast feeding. so I know it is not lip tie or tongue tied so they say.

OK. SO what's changed? How old?

I do pump and put it in a bottle for her now

Did you start the bottles before the refusal to latch, or are the bottles a result of her refusal to latch?

but I want the conection with my baby girl. I feel like I am not as conected with out feeding her from my brests. So much has gone wrong in my little girls short life already I want something to go the way that I planned it to.

Well, even though nothing ever goes as planned, we can get you where you need to be.

tlbmrf
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Nellie is 2 months old. She has been refusing to latch now since she was 3 days old. I have been using the nipple shield for 3 weeks now. As far as let down I don't know what that should feel like. When I pump I only get one ounce from each side. There really is no pattern when she will latch and when she will not.

To answer your other questions the bottles were given and started because she was loosing weight. No one ever told me there were other options to give her the formula other than a bottle.

Quoting gdiamante:

How old? And how long has this been going on? How did you get started on the shield?

Refusal to latch isn't an uncommon problem; mine refused for the first 14 days of his life and it was quite a struggle. Can you tell us anything about what goes on when your milk lets down, what happens if you pump, and if there's any pattern to when she latches and when she doesn't?

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Quoting tlbmrf:

Nellie is 2 months old. She has been refusing to latch now since she was 3 days old.

Did anything happen at that time to make her start refusing?

I have been using the nipple shield for 3 weeks now.

What led you to the shield?

As far as let down I don't know what that should feel like.

All feelings are normal for letdown. What I'm interested in is the flow of the milk. How fast? And when did your milk come in?

When I pump I only get one ounce from each side.

I bow to you O lactating goddess! That's GREAT output when baby won't latch regularly.

There really is no pattern when she will latch and when she will not.

Since she WILL latch this is a very fixable situation. Are there times of day she's more likely to take the breast?

First line of defense in your situation is a supplemental nursing system. Google it... a lactation consultant can provide it to you.

Second line of defense is a sledgehammer. Apply to all bottles. **smile** I suspect some nipple preference here and that is VERY beatable.

tlbmrf
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:39 PM

ok I will call to try and get incontact with a LC this week at some point as the whole town is barried under 2 feet of snow right now. Also I believe I might have a SNL at home but not sure. I can't get rid of all the bottles because I have to have her eat when I am at work.

She does seem to like our feeding time when I come home from work. She knows how to latch. The only thing I can think of when I was to go home they made me stay longer and stressed me out.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Quoting tlbmrf:

ok I will call to try and get incontact with a LC this week at some point as the whole town is barried under 2 feet of snow right now. Also I believe I might have a SNL at home but not sure. I can't get rid of all the bottles because I have to have her eat when I am at work.

She does seem to like our feeding time when I come home from work. She knows how to latch. The only thing I can think of when I was to go home they made me stay longer and stressed me out.

You mean the hospital?

Not likely to be a problem, actually. I was wondering about when your milk came in because day three is a typical arrival time andsometimes the sudden flow discombobulates them.

But you've given me some clues here. How much is she getting in those bottles? 

While you're at work, your magic number is 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour. And she never ever moves from the slowest flow nipple. Sometimes we see this behavior from infants who get instant gratification from the bottle.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)