Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding and Surgery

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:41 AM
  • 10 Replies

I'm having surgery on my foot and I'm still nursing. My son will be almost 8 months when I have the surgery at the end of March. The dr said it's a lot of work she's doing so I will need pain meds. I was on vicodin after the birth of my daughter and she was breastfeeding which was ok'd by my ob and pediatrician (so please don't tell me it's bad for baby)and I will be on vicodin for sure. My dr said if the pain is too bad I may need to be on percocet for a few days though. Does anyone know if percocet safe while breastfeeding?

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ruthie11617
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:58 AM

I had percocet while breastfeeding before and after my recent back surgery. No problems for us.

CafeMom Tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:12 AM
Most pain medications are fine while breastfeeding. Percocet is fine. No worries. I hope your surgery is successful and your foot is better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:58 AM
I've had Percocet after all 3 of my sections and nursed. It's safe.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:17 AM
Yep.
both are safe :)

Quoting aehanrahan:

Most pain medications are fine while breastfeeding. Percocet is fine. No worries. I hope your surgery is successful and your foot is better.

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Yep, they give percocet to bf moms right after a c section or difficult vaginal birth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:17 AM

yep its safe, good luck with the surgery, remember once awake you are safe to nurse

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:10 PM

It's the very rare medication that is unsafe.

GoldenLinds
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Vicodin is safe. I would just watch because I had to have it around 8 months to and he didnt react well. Not bad but it was a trial of sorts. He had excessive spitting up and triuble sleeping while I was taking it. Once I stopped he was fine. I found ways to work around it but I don't remember what. Just wanted you to be prepared but not to discourage you!!
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:31 PM
1 mom liked this

The pain meds are fine. Just FYI lots of moms are told that they cannot nurse for 24 hrs after being under general anesthesia and this is not true. Know that it will be safe to nurse your baby after surgery as soon as you are awake and alert enough to safely hold her. 

Good luck, I hope the surgery goes well and is not too painful!

Journeysmama11
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:51 PM

ok thanks so much everyone! And maggiemom2000 thanks! I didn't know that about the anesthesia so that's very helpful too! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)