Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Congested sounding two month old UPDATE 2/18/13

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:54 AM
  • 23 Replies

Hello ladies!  I am new and this is my first question.  I hope all you knowledgeable Moms can help.

My son was born 12/2/12, full term and healthy.  To me he sounded congested from the start but I thought maybe it was just extra fluid from being born.  Later in my room the nurse mentioned that he sounded congested.  His lungs where listened to and they were clear.  Anyway fast forward to now.  He still "sounds" like he has a cold.  His breathing is labored, I can see his rib cage and his breast bone  when he breaths.  Sometimes it sounds like he can't catch his breath.  The thing is he dos not sound like this all the time.  When he is relaxed his breathing is normal.  When he is excited it is horrible.  Also, when he is breathing heavy changing his position will help.

I have mentioned all this to his Dr at every appointment and will bring it up again next week when we go for his 2 mo check up.  I even took him in mid Jan because I was so worried about him.  The Dr listened to him and said he had a cold.  I was told to use saline drops and suction out his nose before feedings and before bed.  I do this but there is no change.  The day care is very concerned as am I and Dad.

OK now my question..... I read on here that Moms that produce too much milk or have an overactive let down may have a baby that  sounds congested because they can get milk in the back of their nose and throat.  Could this be the problem?  How do I know if I have an overactive let down?  Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you all so much.

OK had Dr appointment last Wed. (2mo check up) Dr asked about his cold.  I said it seemed the same. Then Dr asked me "Does he always  breath like that?"  I answered "Yes since the day he was born!"  After answering a few questions she said DS has tracheomalacia or a noisy air way.  And she apologized for not realizing this earlier Basically, the cartilage that goes around the trachea isn't strong enough to fully support it. This means when he exhales the trachea  narrows so much that it may feel hard to breathe.  There are other conditions that usually go along with this but DS does not have any of those.  And he should outgrow it by age two.  Thank you all for your advice and support.

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bitemebetty
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:56 AM
I do know babys breath weird at first since they are learning to breathe. My son still sounds congested at5 months. I would talk to the doctor if you are worried.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Starshine-bela
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Babies where I live always sound congested, keep using the drops or put breastmilk up his nose. A vaporizer or a humidifier will also help
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:15 PM
You can test your theory... just lean back while nursing. It will help your baby control the flow better. But i was also worried about my sons breathing at first but by 2.5 months it cleared up and he breathes normally now. His respiratory system is just very new and is try to work out the kinks.
SadieJames
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I have OAL and my DD sounds congested if she drinks too fast.  Try reclined nursing.  OAL is spraying milk and means the baby has a hard time controlling the flow and is basically drowning in milk.  Does your baby gulp, sputter or have milk run out of their mouths while feeding?  If baby unlatches after let down does your milk spray?

gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:17 PM

While nursing, does he struggle to keep up with the flow? Does he gag and choke at the breast? When you pump, do you get lots and lots and lots of milk in 30 seconds or less? Those are signs of overactive letdown.

But as a mom who has overactive letdown... these symptoms sound FAR more severe than that will typically create.

robbinsroost
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:24 PM
I bet he has an underdeveloped esophagus. I can't remember the medical term. My 3rd had one and alway sounded conjested. She also had a poor swallow and still has some problems at 5 years old.
Duquesne
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:52 PM
Could be a food allergy as well.
Thunderbug75
by Amanda on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Quoting Bitemebetty:

I do know babys breath weird at first since they are learning to breathe. My son still sounds congested at5 months. I would talk to the doctor if you are worried.

This is the answer the doctor gave at DS's 1 mo check up. 

Thunderbug75
by Amanda on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Quoting Starshine-bela:

Babies where I live always sound congested, keep using the drops or put breastmilk up his nose. A vaporizer or a humidifier will also help

The doctor also suggested a humidifier which we purchased right away.  Will breast milk really help?  Also I read breast milk will help a diaper rash.  Is this true too?

Thunderbug75
by Amanda on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Quoting SadieJames:

I have OAL and my DD sounds congested if she drinks too fast.  Try reclined nursing.  OAL is spraying milk and means the baby has a hard time controlling the flow and is basically drowning in milk.  Does your baby gulp, sputter or have milk run out of their mouths while feeding?  If baby unlatches after let down does your milk spray?

Yes he does gulp, sputter and milk runs out of his mouth.  This did not happen the first month or so.  But when he unlatches my milk does not spray.  I  will try reclining.  Thanks for the explaination.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)