Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Take to pedi or wait?

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:29 AM
  • 16 Replies

So, there is really no way to know if Lil Chunker has an ear infection b/c he always plays with his ears.  When he's teething he gets congested.  Boogers are going thru our house right now.  Well.....Friday/Saturday he ran very low fever (not over 99.7).  He's been extremely fussy since Friday and won't nap.  Last night he was up every 2hrs, and didn't really want to nurse (more for comfort than to eat I noticed).  And instead of waking and chatting he would wake and scream.  Last time I took him to pedi b/c I thought it was ears she said it wasn't.  So, I'm not going to rush to doc.  I have NO clue what to do.  He usually will eat some bites of dinner with us, and now he has been screaming (almost like his throat or mouth hurts) and won't eat but he nurses just fine.  His eye is draining too.  He has slight congested cough, but nothing to be worried about at all.  Should I be on the look out for anything else?  We have such a high deductible and we can't afford to take to pedi to 'just see.'  Thanks for any advice............

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Eliots_momma
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Call the after hrs nurse to get their opinion, it shouldn't cost anything.

I would say that as long as he is nursing well then I would wait it out.

Mine tugs and plays with his ears all the time too. Is he teething?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Well the fevr isn't high at all. But not all kids get fevers with ear infection. Am going thru the same thing too except my daughter has gotten of fever of 104. But again no ear pulling just lots of boggies. She had a fver on and of for 3 days and then nothing she is good now. Babies are a mistery lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rHOPEb
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:36 AM

That's the thing......hubby says its teeth BUT his other tooth cut the gum last week!  He has his bottom two and nothing swollen on the top yet.  Thanks!

Quoting Eliots_momma:

Call the after hrs nurse to get their opinion, it shouldn't cost anything.

I would say that as long as he is nursing well then I would wait it out.

Mine tugs and plays with his ears all the time too. Is he teething?

ambermario4ever
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this

He may just be teething give him something rel cold to chew on and see if it helps.

melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like a viral bug. Treat symptoms.
Bm in the eyes, ears and nose. when sick I usually back off solids.
Hope your little one feels better soon.
Reasons to bring to dr. low (like 1 in 24hrs) diaper count, lethargic, difficulty breathing etc
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rHOPEb
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Yea, I don't give meds unless close to 102.  He had ear infection at his 6mos checkup and we didn't even know it!  He didn't have any symptoms for us to know.  Babies are a mysteries......our daughter asked me yesterday "Why is he so fussy" and I told her that I had no clue b/c he could talk to me like she could.  She just couldn't understand why he just kept crying/whining and wouldn't stop.  :(

Quoting piwife:

Well the fevr isn't high at all. But not all kids get fevers with ear infection. Am going thru the same thing too except my daughter has gotten of fever of 104. But again no ear pulling just lots of boggies. She had a fver on and of for 3 days and then nothing she is good now. Babies are a mistery lol

rHOPEb
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you!  Yes, he hasn't had solids since Thursday so I'm not worried at all.  :)  Its not necissary as long as he will nurse for me.  

Quoting melindabelcher:

Reasons to bring to dr. low (like 1 in 24hrs) diaper count, lethargic, difficulty breathing etc

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:41 AM
I agree. That temp doesn't even qualify as a fever. Even if it is an ear infection, newer research shows that the majority will clear up just as well without antibiotics.
Quoting melindabelcher:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Honestly as an audiologist I have yet to find a pedi/general practitioner diagnose "fluid" in the ear. I have had kids referred to me And tested out to be completely normal. (Same with older kids and failed screenings). I'm not sure what they learn in med school because it sure ain't nutrition or ear health! If the fever is mild I would attribute it to teeth. (The jaw really can be sore long before actual teeth move in. Could be gearing up for more. We just got 5 in the span of 3 weeks).

If the fever spikes I'd consider taking him in but if it IS an ear infection my first suggestion is to do Tylenol and more frequent nursing. The act of nursing helps regulate the pressure in the middle ear. Also breastmilk in the nose to stop the congestion will help too. Too many antibiotics is not a good thing.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rHOPEb
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Thank you!  I thought ear infections needed meds....even tho I can do BM drops.

Quoting larissalarie:

I agree. That temp doesn't even qualify as a fever. Even if it is an ear infection, newer research shows that the majority will clear up just as well without antibiotics.
Quoting melindabelcher:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN