Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Steel cut oats? *Just tried them!*

Are these like the canisters of quaker oats? How do you know if there steel cut? I sent my dh out for a few things and dont want him on a wild goose chase.

*Dh got the steel cut, from walmart! Suprisingly lol! I made them they were a tiny bit undercooked, but still good, I added brown sugar. How often should I eat them? How fast does it work...my boobs feel full and its just been 15 minutes. Do I need to eat a full serving? It cooks up to be alot...i dont have that big of an appetite. Dh also got rolled oats so I can make oatmeal cookies! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:48 PM
Replies (11-20):
kathislove80
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:01 PM
My Wal Mart carries them, along with our local grocery store.

Quoting larissalarie:

They will say "steel cut", Quaker say "rolled oats" and/or "instant"

You usually find them at health food stores or nicer grocery chains, it's definitely not a regular Walmart purchase.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EslingerCrew11
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this
So much better than rolled!! Op, once you have steal cut, you'll wonder why it took so long to have them.

Quoting K8wizzo:

You can add whatever you want to them.  They take longer to cook and are definitely a heartier, chewier food than instant oatmeal.  Yummy, though. :)

I love to put apples, walnuts, cinnamon, and a little brown sugar in mine (and sometimes raisins) or peanut butter and banana.  Peaches and milk is also yummy--the possibilities are endless.

Quoting CheyennesMommy2:

Ive never had them..i always buy the instant packets :P

Im hoping/assuming I can add like brown sugar to them.

Quoting GoldenLinds:

I HAVE A QUESTION!! What is the difference taste wise? I don't think that I can eat them anyway but I've been curious.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
princess_peach
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:02 PM
I have found steel cut oats at wal mart. I think they taste pretty much the same, it just looks different.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CheyennesMommy2
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:10 PM
Do they help too? No ive never had anything but instant. Ill have to get both kinds

Quoting shortyali:

I've always had luck with the rolled oats. Have you tried those yet?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:14 PM
I never tried steel cut oats. Instant does nothing for me. The rolled oats work within a hour or so. I can't even eat an oatmeal cookie most of the time without becoming painfully engorged.

Quoting CheyennesMommy2:

Do they help too? No ive never had anything but instant. Ill have to get both kinds

Quoting shortyali:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CheyennesMommy2
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:35 PM
Mmm. Im gonna get the stuff to make oatmeal chocolate chip cookies...might as well! They might help.

Quoting shortyali:

I never tried steel cut oats. Instant does nothing for me. The rolled oats work within a hour or so. I can't even eat an oatmeal cookie most of the time without becoming painfully engorged.

Quoting CheyennesMommy2:

Quoting shortyali:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Nice!

Quoting EslingerCrew11:

I get mine in a regular store (winco). Mine are by quaker but very clearly steal cut.

Quoting larissalarie:

You usually find them at health food stores or nicer grocery chains, it's definitely not a regular Walmart purchase.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this
That's great, I've never been able to. Hopefully OP lives where she can find themthere :-)

Quoting kathislove80:

My Wal Mart carries them, along with our local grocery store.

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Steel cut oats ARE NOT quaker oats.  Steel cut are the thick kind that you have to soak.  The container will say steel cut.  

gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Steel cut are more substantial. They taste better in my opinion.

Quoting GoldenLinds:

I HAVE A QUESTION!! What is the difference taste wise? I don't think that I can eat them anyway but I've been curious.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN