Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Steel cut oats? *Just tried them!*

Are these like the canisters of quaker oats? How do you know if there steel cut? I sent my dh out for a few things and dont want him on a wild goose chase.

*Dh got the steel cut, from walmart! Suprisingly lol! I made them they were a tiny bit undercooked, but still good, I added brown sugar. How often should I eat them? How fast does it work...my boobs feel full and its just been 15 minutes. Do I need to eat a full serving? It cooks up to be alot...i dont have that big of an appetite. Dh also got rolled oats so I can make oatmeal cookies! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:48 PM
Replies (31-37):
becky1109
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:11 PM

they do have it at walmart ive bought it b4!

Quoting CheyennesMommy2:

Thats all we have is walmart..the closest health food store os like an hour away

Quoting larissalarie:

They will say "steel cut", Quaker say "rolled oats" and/or "instant"

You usually find them at health food stores or nicer grocery chains, it's definitely not a regular Walmart purchase.

LucyHourglass
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:34 PM

is oatmeal gluten free?? i've  havent tried it because im worried about gluten.

Barrielg2004
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:56 AM
Oatmeal is not always gluten free but you can find steel cut gluten free by Bob's Red Mill or at whole foods (or gf instant)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mitzi31
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I like to add brown sugar, a little vanilla and some raisins. You'll be a good dose of fiber that way. When they are all done and warm I add a half of banana. :-) Soooo good! I love the steel cut waaay better than the rolled and they are way more potent too.

If I'm trying to up my supply I'll eat about 3 bowls a day. That equals about 3 cups a day. Although be careful cause my SIL ended up engorged cause of eating too much oatmeal. She was pumping at the time too. Maybe start out with a half cup serving a couple times a day and see what that does first. With me though I have to eat A LOT of it in order to show any difference in supply. I like to make a big pot of it and put it in individual containers and that's my breakfast all week. So easy to get out and heat up in microwave.

Someone on here did post about Fresh basil and upping supply so I'm trying that out now. Just bought the plants last night. :-) I've tried everything else so we'll see if that does any better.

CheyennesMommy2
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:17 AM
I just ate one whole serving. Ill probably eat more in a few hours. Im just trying to not loose my supply. :( I want so bad to nurse or oump for a year.

Quoting Mitzi31:

I like to add brown sugar, a little vanilla and some raisins. You'll be a good dose of fiber that way. When they are all done and warm I add a half of banana. :-) Soooo good! I love the steel cut waaay better than the rolled and they are way more potent too.

If I'm trying to up my supply I'll eat about 3 bowls a day. That equals about 3 cups a day. Although be careful cause my SIL ended up engorged cause of eating too much oatmeal. She was pumping at the time too. Maybe start out with a half cup serving a couple times a day and see what that does first. With me though I have to eat A LOT of it in order to show any difference in supply. I like to make a big pot of it and put it in individual containers and that's my breakfast all week. So easy to get out and heat up in microwave.

Someone on here did post about Fresh basil and upping supply so I'm trying that out now. Just bought the plants last night. :-) I've tried everything else so we'll see if that does any better.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
YzmaRocks
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:19 AM
In and of itself, yes, but it is often contaminated. You can buy GF oatmeal but it has to say GF specifically. My son was sensitive to gluten for a long time and he could eat regular oatmeal without a problem. I would not recommend anyone with celiacs to eat regular though. You can find it in the organic section in almost any grocery store or online.

Quoting LucyHourglass:

is oatmeal gluten free?? i've  havent tried it because im worried about gluten.

YzmaRocks
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Check out crock pot steel cut oats. Awesome stuff!

Quoting CheyennesMommy2:

I just ate one whole serving. Ill probably eat more in a few hours. Im just trying to not loose my supply. :( I want so bad to nurse or oump for a year.

Quoting Mitzi31:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)