Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Supplementing help

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:28 PM
  • 17 Replies
Ds hasn't been gaining so I have been supplementing with pumped milk. The problem is after a 2 oz bottle the last 2 nights he will go 5 hours before eating again so he is actually getting less. Nothing I did would make him eat. He slept hard which honestly was nice as he rarely sleeps for more than twenty minutes unless he is attached to my nipple. When I finally got him awake and he just screamed at the nipple for a long time and then fell back asleep. And he rarely empties a breast at night anyway. I am at a loss at what to do. I'm hoping I get a call from the lactation consultant I emailed tomorrow and she can help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:37 PM
full weight history.
sounds like hes developing flow preference. Ever checked for a tongue/lip tie?
any way to ditch the bottles?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:44 PM

This! 

Quoting melindabelcher:

full weight history.

xredstarsx
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:45 PM
You have helped me in other posts. I believe you even think he needs the supplement. 10 8 at birth. Lowest 9 6. One week 9 7. 1.5 weeks 9 11. 2.5 weeks 9 11. 3.5 weeks 9 13. Tongue tie clipped in hospital but going to have LC evaluate. We tried syringe feeding and he screamed and let it all run out. He nurses fine all day but even without the bottle he sleeps through feelings at night. He spends all day either screaming or nursing.

Quoting melindabelcher:

full weight history.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this

You definitely need to be supplementing.  When did you start the supplements?  How often are you giving them?

If he's only doing one 5-hour stretch, I'd let him have it and not wake him.  I would still get up to pump just to maintain your supply as you're getting everything figured out.  Forcing him to eat at the breast when he doesn't want to can end up giving him some negative experiences there which is not what you want.  The rest of the day, I'd be offering every 2-3 hrs.

Get that tongue checked out ASAP.

Quoting xredstarsx:

You have helped me in other posts. I believe you even think he needs the supplement. 10 8 at birth. Lowest 9 6. One week 9 7. 1.5 weeks 9 11. 2.5 weeks 9 11. 3.5 weeks 9 13. Tongue tie clipped in hospital but going to have LC evaluate. We tried syringe feeding and he screamed and let it all run out. He nurses fine all day but even without the bottle he sleeps through feelings at night. He spends all day either screaming or nursing.

Quoting melindabelcher:

full weight history.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:26 PM

I agree with K8, let him have that 5 hr stretch of sleep at night, but I'm inclined to suggest that you sleep too, not get up and pump. You can save your pumping for the daytime. Especially if he's not draining the breast, pump out what is left in the breast to give as a supplement, as it will be higher in fat and calories.

It is very stressful to have a newborn who is not gaining, trying to find help from an LC, pumping and supplementing. You need to take that 5 hr stretch of sleep right now. He's only sleeping through one feeding and you can easily make up for that during the day.

How frequently us he nursing during the day? Since you say he is only nursing and screaming during the day, I wonder if you should do some supplementing during the day as well.

melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:28 PM
Any way you can supplement at the breast?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:30 PM

I was iffy on the pumping, but wasn't sure how it would affect her supply to miss that one.  I agree on letting that one slide if you think she'll be fine.  Sleep is important for everyone!

Quoting maggiemom2000:

I agree with K8, let him have that 5 hr stretch of sleep at night, but I'm inclined to suggest that you sleep too, not get up and pump. You can save your pumping for the daytime. Especially if he's not draining the breast, pump out what is left in the breast to give as a supplement, as it will be higher in fat and calories.

It is very stressful to have a newborn who is not gaining, trying to find help from an LC, pumping and supplementing. You need to take that 5 hr stretch of sleep right now. He's only sleeping through one feeding and you can easily make up for that during the day.

How frequently us he nursing during the day? Since you say he is only nursing and screaming during the day, I wonder if you should do some supplementing during the day as well.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Yeah, I can see an argument either way. Mom can certainly look at both sides and choose!

Quoting K8wizzo:

I was iffy on the pumping, but wasn't sure how it would affect her supply to miss that one.  I agree on letting that one slide if you think she'll be fine.  Sleep is important for everyone!

Quoting maggiemom2000:

K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Is it crazy that when I was typing my first response, I typed out that she needed to sleep, too, but then changed it when I thought about what you might say?  LOL

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Yeah, I can see an argument either way. Mom can certainly look at both sides and choose!

Quoting K8wizzo:

Quoting maggiemom2000:

xredstarsx
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:46 PM
I don't know how to pump more when I can't get him to be happy anywhere but attached to me. I can't move him without him waking up and wanting to eat again. I would love to pump after a feeding but his feeding a aren't defined. It's ten minutes. Sleep, wake up after ten minutes and eat again. And he does this all day and I am stuck on the couch. And I plan to add another small bottle this afternoon to see if that helps.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN