Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

biting

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:49 PM
  • 3 Replies

So my 6 month old just got 2 teeth about a week or two ago..she bites. Not all the time but at least once or twice a day i am almost crying because it hurts so bad. WHAT DO I DO? I do not want to stop nursing but OUCH!

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:37 PM

When she bites, unlatch her, put her down, and walk away for several minutes.  If she cries, that's okay... it means she's realizing that biting mommy=unpleasant situation for her.  No solids, no cups, no bottles until she has nursed nicely.

preacherskid
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Another method which worked really well for us was to pull baby in as close as possible.  This makes baby open mouth wider to accomodate the breast, thus preventing baby from being able to clamp down to bite.  It also gives you a deeper latch.  I have been nursing for nearly four years between my two girls, and have been bitten maybe three times thanks to that trick I learned from our local IBCLC :)

GoldenLinds
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:51 PM
I always flicked my sons cheeks when he did it. He would screech for a second at the disruption and go back to nursing. He only did it a few times. Now that he's older he will do the slow clamp when he's sick and I've nearly lost my nipple a few times trying to get it out. In the end you have to be the adult and the realise the pain only lasts a minute so deal with the child but don't stop nursing. Its part of the territory.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)