Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

18 month old reverting to EBF?

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:05 PM
  • 9 Replies

So, I have a newborn and an 18 month old. She will pick at the food we give her at meal time, ( she still sits with us at meal times and we eat as a family) but since her brother was born she has been demanding to nurse a lot more.

She is having pretty much ebf poop, which tells me that she is barely picking at what we give her for meals. I know that this isn't *bad* for her, it is a bit of a hassle for me though because she is demanding to nurse so often, plus the demands of the newborn.

Anyone else have a little one who completely reverted back to ebf after nursing maybe 2-3 times a day?

She is also trying to potty train herself, ( she pees on the potty consistently when given opportunity) but I worry that the ebf poop will be too hard for her to predict and get to the potty in time as well.

Mommy of FIVE!!!

Tara~12.16.03  Zachary~5.17.05  Rowan~1.17.09  Willow~8/10/11  Soren~ 1/28/13

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:19 PM

It is really common for a toddler at this age to suddenly want to nurse more and eat less solids. It is just a phase, I wouldn't worry about it, just wait for it to pass!

melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:26 PM
It's likely related to the stress of the new sibling and sharing her mommy.

I found allowing the older child to nurse on demand they were reassured mommy is stll for them and so is the milk. And my oldest backed down on her own
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:28 PM

HUGE growth spurt at 18 months, huge huge huge.  Give her a week and she'll be back to normal-ish, or a new version of normal, but at least eating more food and not nursing quite as much.

jadsmummy
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep. We are going through it too currently.
GoldenLinds
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:59 PM
My son is doing this a lot lately. Growth sprut, virus, and Molars!! All factors. Plus you have the added baby factor. I try to keep more busy to help cut down the nursing some. Ive had to be selective with food. You'll both get through it!
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Yep went through this with all my toddlers that I tandem nursed with. It'll pass. 

Cleo07
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Yes me too. My oldest was 20 months when I had my second baby. She went from twice a day to newborn nursing when the milk came back. I gave her a few months before pushing her back down to a couple times a day. She was always a great eater though. It will pass.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oliver92
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:30 PM

You guys are total champs im not sure I could have fed in tandem, that is amazing. way to go moms

catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Normal phase, totally okay to just ride it through..  :o) 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)