Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

stupid things people say to bf moms

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:07 PM
  • 66 Replies
1 mom liked this

some of our posts make it sound like bfing moms are angry, whewww, i thought this may be fun. I keep thinking now im pregnant again and going to be bfing I will have to put up with all the stupidity again.  Might help some new mom's out there to share. 

so stupid comments people make to breastfeeding mom's.

MY mil was the worst, she had twins and 5 kids total and feels bfing is a waste. (now i always covered up, nothing hanging out)

she would say ewww, are you going to do that in here cant you go someplace private?, is he still bfing? isnt he old enough for cows milk, he eats too often, that i wasnt giving him what he needed, that he is an anemic because i bfed him, she would literally harrass me every time

others:

people always have to state why they didnt bf exclusively

always telling me they needed cereal or food to compensate

he wont know how to use a bottle or drink properly

its not proper to do that in front of your other boys'

they might not get enough air covered up like that....

and the stupidest ever while i was covered up at a bbq and bf son in rocker ---- IS THAT YOUR BABY???? no you moron i just randomly grabbed a baby here and stuck him on my tit

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Lol, the air comment is funny. I don't remember anything stupid said to me other than "maybe he's allergic to breastmilk" when my second child really sick and we were figuring out what he wasn't tolerating in my diet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Lol....yep.
When i cut dairy out for my first my mil said "so can you still nurse?"
Sad because she u lactose intolerant and her doctor told her she couldnt nurse because she doesnr drink milk and put her boys on soy formula
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
finnbar
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:13 PM

is that your baby???  Wow that's a new stupidity low.

I too have encountered the people explaining to me why they couldn't nurse, just because they saw me nursing. I'm just sitting there thinking "um ok, tmi?"

audreesmama
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:13 PM
A nurse at the hospital where I gave birth told me I would never produce enough to feed my baby since she was 10.5lbs at birth. 14 months after, she was 33lbs and happy as can be. She's now 46inches and 48lbs, and 4 years old.
MommeeTo4
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:14 PM
4 moms liked this
Do you make chocolate milk if you drink chocolate milk.

The girl who asked was 15 smh

She was dead serious
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Haha, I missed that. "No, I borrowed it!" Or really freak them out and say it's a foster baby :-P

Quoting finnbar:

is that your baby???  Wow that's a new stupidity low.

I too have encountered the people explaining to me why they couldn't nurse, just because they saw me nursing. I'm just sitting there thinking "um ok, tmi?"

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hnischke
by Heather on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this
As a kid I thought that they fed cows chocolate to get chocolate milk lol. Only I was like 5.

Quoting MommeeTo4:

Do you make chocolate milk if you drink chocolate milk.

The girl who asked was 15 smh

She was dead serious

Denisethedaring
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:18 PM

HAHAHA I like that last one, at least, I like your response to it :) 

oliver92
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:20 PM

producing enough because of weight of child, ha ha, my sons were 10.9 and 9.6. never an issue

audmom1218
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I think the meanest thing to say (which I was told by countless people until I stopped telling them I was going to BF) was "well you probably won't be able to so make sure you have lots of formula on hand so you don't have to run out and buy some when baby is screaming".  Really? We lived in a major city, 5 min from the closest walmart and 1 mile from a gas station.  If I absolutely needed to I could have had formula. 

The dumbest thing I heard was, "I couldn't breastfeed because I didn't like milk and you have to drink milk to make milk"  And sadly that is a common belief in this area.

I absolutely HATE IT when people say (when DD is fussing) "Oh, she wants boobies" It makes it sound so condescending and obnoxious.  No, she wants comfort, she wants mom to be close to me, and she wants to eat!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN