Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

stupid things people say to bf moms

Posted by   + Show Post

some of our posts make it sound like bfing moms are angry, whewww, i thought this may be fun. I keep thinking now im pregnant again and going to be bfing I will have to put up with all the stupidity again.  Might help some new mom's out there to share. 

so stupid comments people make to breastfeeding mom's.

MY mil was the worst, she had twins and 5 kids total and feels bfing is a waste. (now i always covered up, nothing hanging out)

she would say ewww, are you going to do that in here cant you go someplace private?, is he still bfing? isnt he old enough for cows milk, he eats too often, that i wasnt giving him what he needed, that he is an anemic because i bfed him, she would literally harrass me every time

others:

people always have to state why they didnt bf exclusively

always telling me they needed cereal or food to compensate

he wont know how to use a bottle or drink properly

its not proper to do that in front of your other boys'

they might not get enough air covered up like that....

and the stupidest ever while i was covered up at a bbq and bf son in rocker ---- IS THAT YOUR BABY???? no you moron i just randomly grabbed a baby here and stuck him on my tit

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Replies (21-30):
princess_peach
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:43 AM
1 mom liked this
With my first, I was always asked how long I was going to breastfeed her... Starting when she was only 6ontha old!

Now with my second, I hear the "cover up" comment a lot.

This morning my 3 year old wanted some cereal, but we were out of her milk so I put some pumped breast milk in it and my sil said she was going to throw up because it was so gross. Why is it ok for the baby but not the toddler? Many kids her age are still nursing!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Stupidest thing I ever heard.... telling my dh's best friend about how excited I was that we had fully weaned off of supplements and my 10 WEEK old was ebf again, he said "I thought the goal was usually to wean them to the bottle not the other way around."  SMH!  This is the guy who was usually so supportive of bfing, congratulating me for EPing when our first was in the hospital and waxing poetic about how wonderful mothers are when they nurse on planes. 

MOMMY2ACR
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:58 AM
My husbands family loves to tell me "that baby needs a titty" or she'll let out the smallest cry while someone's holding her and of course "she needs some boobie". I hate it. Especially when I'm busy with my oldest dd and dd2 may have to wait a few minutes or when she literally just ate.

Quoting audmom1218:

I think the meanest thing to say (which I was told by countless people until I stopped telling them I was going to BF) was "well you probably won't be able to so make sure you have lots of formula on hand so you don't have to run out and buy some when baby is screaming".  Really? We lived in a major city, 5 min from the closest walmart and 1 mile from a gas station.  If I absolutely needed to I could have had formula. 

The dumbest thing I heard was, "I couldn't breastfeed because I didn't like milk and you have to drink milk to make milk"  And sadly that is a common belief in this area.

I absolutely HATE IT when people say (when DD is fussing) "Oh, she wants boobies" It makes it sound so condescending and obnoxious.  No, she wants comfort, she wants mom to be close to me, and she wants to eat!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:06 AM

My mom was asked by a little old lady at church if she was sure she'd be able to feed that baby with those "little mosquito bites" of hers.  She's a AAA but managed to feed all of us without a problem. ;-)

Quoting mostlymaydays:

I got sick of hearing my family ask how I was going to breastfeed with no boobs. Yes, I'm darned near flat but *somehow* managed to ebf 4 babies to 6 months and then wrack up 102 total months over those 4 babies. Not too shabby for someone with "no boobs".

kitty8199
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:09 AM
I'd that your baby lol wow
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabear1111
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:14 AM
I was just told since my baby is 4 days old and my milk is in that I've already given her all the vitamins and nutrients she needed and it was time to give her formula since actual bm has nothing extra....only your colostrum does!!! All I could do is lmao some people are so clueless yet so quick to give their opinion
Mrsfarr
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:30 AM
"I just randomly grabbed a baby here and stuck him on my tit" BAHAHAHAHAHA! I laughed so dang hard.

Two days ago I got this gem from my SIL "I don't want to see your boob." then she more or less just sat there, staring while I took my sweater off to feed my baby. I kept thinking "well, of you don't want to see a boob, you shouldn't have come into the room after I closed the door and announced I'd be feeding my baby. She finally got the hint that I was actually going to feed my kid and left but kept coming back in and telling me she didn't want to see my boob.
But I've only been doing this for 9 days so I'm sure I'll get more later.
momalee40
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:27 AM
These are great ! Thank goodness i have a family full of breastfeeding sisters and nieces so i have lots of support. This is my 3rd ,my dd was ebf & didnt wean til almost 3. My ds had to be in daycare and i had no support where i worked for pumping so he weaned at 9 mo. :( from breast and bottle. With this one, the funniest comment i have had so far is from my 15 yr old stepson " are you really gonna boob feed ? ". My dh has never really been around it either but i made it pretty clear that not bf wasnt an option.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:43 AM
I told my mom i was breastfeeding and she said "like on your tit".... no! And of course over the weekend mil asked when i would start rice cereal because i gave her pears for him. She informed me.... breastmilk was never enough for the boys. She also stopped breastfeeding around 6 mos from what i can gather.
victoriangavin
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:59 AM
1 mom liked this
I would have told her yes, you want some too? With a very serious face :)

Quoting MommeeTo4:

Do you make chocolate milk if you drink chocolate milk.

The girl who asked was 15 smh

She was dead serious

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)