Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

stupid things people say to bf moms

Posted by   + Show Post

some of our posts make it sound like bfing moms are angry, whewww, i thought this may be fun. I keep thinking now im pregnant again and going to be bfing I will have to put up with all the stupidity again.  Might help some new mom's out there to share. 

so stupid comments people make to breastfeeding mom's.

MY mil was the worst, she had twins and 5 kids total and feels bfing is a waste. (now i always covered up, nothing hanging out)

she would say ewww, are you going to do that in here cant you go someplace private?, is he still bfing? isnt he old enough for cows milk, he eats too often, that i wasnt giving him what he needed, that he is an anemic because i bfed him, she would literally harrass me every time

others:

people always have to state why they didnt bf exclusively

always telling me they needed cereal or food to compensate

he wont know how to use a bottle or drink properly

its not proper to do that in front of your other boys'

they might not get enough air covered up like that....

and the stupidest ever while i was covered up at a bbq and bf son in rocker ---- IS THAT YOUR BABY???? no you moron i just randomly grabbed a baby here and stuck him on my tit

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Replies (31-40):
Titana
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:23 AM
I have heard all of what you posted as well! And all from my mil too. It's annoying but the worst ever was when I was in a room by myself (our house) nursing and mil showed up with her boys (grandsons from her daughter) and told me I couldn't nurse with them in the house because it wasn't right. Ugh the nerve....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muchlovedby4
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:50 PM
My sister and i have boys exactly 1 wk apart. (Hers will be two wks tuesday and mine will be three wks wednesday.)

She was talking to a friend on the phone the other day and he VERY obviously knows nothing about nursing mothers because of the question he asked.

"So what do you guys do.... Just sit around the house all day with your boobs hanging out?"

Really?!?! He just ASSumes we sit around topless all day, flashing whoever walks in the door?! Argh!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Allie_kat1
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Haha. My 3yr old always says uhoh mama, Kyler needs boobies whenever her little brother starts crying. She has also been known to tell random strangers that their babies need boobies if she hears a baby cry.

Quoting audmom1218:

I think the meanest thing to say (which I was told by countless people until I stopped telling them I was going to BF) was "well you probably won't be able to so make sure you have lots of formula on hand so you don't have to run out and buy some when baby is screaming".  Really? We lived in a major city, 5 min from the closest walmart and 1 mile from a gas station.  If I absolutely needed to I could have had formula. 

The dumbest thing I heard was, "I couldn't breastfeed because I didn't like milk and you have to drink milk to make milk"  And sadly that is a common belief in this area.

I absolutely HATE IT when people say (when DD is fussing) "Oh, she wants boobies" It makes it sound so condescending and obnoxious.  No, she wants comfort, she wants mom to be close to me, and she wants to eat!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Allie_kat1
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:00 PM
Yay, someone else that is nursing 3 kids! Everyone looks at me like I'm cracked when they find out i am!

Quoting jjchick75:

I was talking to a lady the other day who upon finding out I am currently nursing 3 kids, said "You only have 2 breast, how do you nurse 3 kids?"........ Oh you know I sprout an extra one out of my back when I need it..........  It really took everything inside of me to keep from just dying laughing lol. 

I had several nurses tell me I'd never make enough milk for twins and I WOULD have to supplement with formula. 

People also have a hard time grasping that I can breastfeed but don't respond to the pump, no matter how many times I explain it. 

I was also told that by not starting solids until 8-10 months I was depriving my kids of not only nutrition but valuable lessons on how to eat..... 

My last one was when my twins were maybe 6 months old. We were trying to find a playgroup and I went to one and one of the girls got hungry while we were there. So I fed her and one of the other moms said to me "Don't you clean that thing before you put it in your baby's mouth?" I said "Nah I wash my breast well when I take my monthly shower! A few germs never hurt anyone!" lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mindysue852
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:32 PM

When my son was 3 months old people constantly asked when I was going to start feeding him purees and cereal because "they could tell that he needed more food." I also hear excuses from pretty much everyone who didn't bf as to why they didn't. My favorite was my dumb SIL who said that when her 1 day old baby was crying she just knew with her mommy instinct that she was hungry and needed formula. How did cave babies ever survive without that formula!

sleepymommy87
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Lmao at cave babies bahahaha!

Quoting mindysue852:

When my son was 3 months old people constantly asked when I was going to start feeding him purees and cereal because "they could tell that he needed more food." I also hear excuses from pretty much everyone who didn't bf as to why they didn't. My favorite was my dumb SIL who said that when her 1 day old baby was crying she just knew with her mommy instinct that she was hungry and needed formula. How did cave babies ever survive without that formula!

mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:00 PM
2 moms liked this

lol I got told that too...some idiot  told me "poor Clint is gonna be upset that he's not getting any attention too". I laughed when we told him we were pregnant again...I couldn't resist & said "oh & you  were worried that he wasn't getting any attention" He turned red & shut up!

Quoting lilblu399:

I have a 'friend'(I use that word loosely) Who told me that since my almost 2yo still nurses, that my husband will stop being intimate with me.

When my DD was turning one, I was told that she needs to be given formula now.

BabyFruit Ticker

japanmommy
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:12 PM
I never got a lot of comments to my face, my family is very supportive and I think people who know me know better lol.

The only thing that comes to mind is being asked are you STILL nursing? I nursed until ds was 23 months. When he was 11 months I had an appointment for more bc and the midwife doing the appt asked for my lmp which I hadn't had yet. When she looked concerned I told her I was still nursing a lot. She was shocked and almost sounded horrified when she like, "you're still nursing and he's almost one?!"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsMedina90
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:15 PM

"eww how old is he?"

"you do know that you don't need to do that anymore right? He's too old now"

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:21 PM
My father ask me if I had switched my 2 month to formula. Smh at that comment. I told him we are nursing for at least a year.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)