Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

stupid things people say to bf moms

Posted by   + Show Post

some of our posts make it sound like bfing moms are angry, whewww, i thought this may be fun. I keep thinking now im pregnant again and going to be bfing I will have to put up with all the stupidity again.  Might help some new mom's out there to share. 

so stupid comments people make to breastfeeding mom's.

MY mil was the worst, she had twins and 5 kids total and feels bfing is a waste. (now i always covered up, nothing hanging out)

she would say ewww, are you going to do that in here cant you go someplace private?, is he still bfing? isnt he old enough for cows milk, he eats too often, that i wasnt giving him what he needed, that he is an anemic because i bfed him, she would literally harrass me every time

others:

people always have to state why they didnt bf exclusively

always telling me they needed cereal or food to compensate

he wont know how to use a bottle or drink properly

its not proper to do that in front of your other boys'

they might not get enough air covered up like that....

and the stupidest ever while i was covered up at a bbq and bf son in rocker ---- IS THAT YOUR BABY???? no you moron i just randomly grabbed a baby here and stuck him on my tit

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Replies (41-50):
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this
My son(6 years) thinks I should nurse all the babies in the world. He knows babies take breast milk.

Quoting Allie_kat1:

Haha. My 3yr old always says uhoh mama, Kyler needs boobies whenever her little brother starts crying. She has also been known to tell random strangers that their babies need boobies if she hears a baby cry.

Quoting audmom1218:

I think the meanest thing to say (which I was told by countless people until I stopped telling them I was going to BF) was "well you probably won't be able to so make sure you have lots of formula on hand so you don't have to run out and buy some when baby is screaming".  Really? We lived in a major city, 5 min from the closest walmart and 1 mile from a gas station.  If I absolutely needed to I could have had formula. 

The dumbest thing I heard was, "I couldn't breastfeed because I didn't like milk and you have to drink milk to make milk"  And sadly that is a common belief in this area.

I absolutely HATE IT when people say (when DD is fussing) "Oh, she wants boobies" It makes it sound so condescending and obnoxious.  No, she wants comfort, she wants mom to be close to me, and she wants to eat!!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:33 PM
In my own house me and my roommate were watching tv. Dd hot hungry. His gf saw I wad about to pill my noob out. She runs, stands in front of me anf when I trief moving she move with me too. She throe blanket st me whenever I fed her. He got upset and told me to aRn him I wad feeding dd so he wouldn't come in the room. They moved out couple days ago.
birdiemom
by Allison on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:43 PM

People always feel the need to tell me why they aren't/couldn't breastfeed.

I dont judge people who don't breastfeed, just like I don't want to be judged for breastfeeding.

jocelynred
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:44 PM

my grandma, who had nursed her 4 kds, made a comment about my cats. she was worried that they would smell the milk on the babies breath and "suck the breath out of the baby" or something like that. i literally laughed out loud when she said that. i really thought she was joking. but she was serious.

and my mom kept telling me my son was eating too often. he nursed constantly. she swore that when she had us the nurses in the hospital kept us in the nursery and only brought us out to be fed every 3-4 hours. then she had us on a schedule of eating every 3-4 hours after that. 

MollyJmommy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:46 PM
I had one friend tell me I wouldn't be able to breastfed because I wasn't a d cup so I wouldn't make enough milk :D My dd is 19 months old and still nursing. My cousin's husband is always telling me I need to stop so I can go out without her. or that i'm gonna make her needy x.x that one always makes me giggle though since my dd is pretty independent and their daughter freaks when I take her out of the room from her parents
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:58 PM

That's actually a real thing.  A real fear.  And has happened.  But not that way.  But there are stories about cats sucking the breath out of babies.  And it's from the fact that cats would jump into the cribs and sit on the baby.   And the baby's couldn't breath and died. 

Quoting jocelynred:

my grandma, who had nursed her 4 kds, made a comment about my cats. she was worried that they would smell the milk on the babies breath and "suck the breath out of the baby" or something like that. i literally laughed out loud when she said that. i really thought she was joking. but she was serious.

and my mom kept telling me my son was eating too often. he nursed constantly. she swore that when she had us the nurses in the hospital kept us in the nursery and only brought us out to be fed every 3-4 hours. then she had us on a schedule of eating every 3-4 hours after that. 

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:59 PM
2 moms liked this

Ohhhhhh no!  I would've said, ok, you can leave now then, since this is my house.

Quoting Titana:

I have heard all of what you posted as well! And all from my mil too. It's annoying but the worst ever was when I was in a room by myself (our house) nursing and mil showed up with her boys (grandsons from her daughter) and told me I couldn't nurse with them in the house because it wasn't right. Ugh the nerve....

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:00 PM

I have never heard anything to my face about ME personally BFing. I have heard all the excuses under the sun as to why OTHER moms COULDN'T BF.

inspain
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:41 PM

When DD1 was 16 months, we were in Myrtle Beach meeting up with another couple and their 3 year old.  They showed up just as DD1 had started to nurse and when my friend walked in, the first words out of his mouth were, "Aw, no!  Come on!  That kid is too old to be doing that!"  I said she wasn't and that the WHO recommended nursing to 2 yrs. old.  His response?  "Yeah, if you're living in a mud hut, ten hours drive from civilization!  Otherwise, there's no reason that kid shouldn't be drinking cow's milk from a sippy cup."  

Also, a bumped into a childhood friend when DD1 was two years old.  She was horrified when she found out DD was still being breastfed.  She said that she didn't have anything against it at all.  She had nursed her DD, but only to 6 weeks.  After that she just really felt that her DD "needed to be more independent.".  She asked me if I wasn't worried that my DD would be a neurotic, clingy, basket case.  She said there were studies that supported that being the case.  

This time around, I'm living in Central America and DD2 is 14 weeks and ebf.  The first pediatrician told me that I should switch to formula immediately at one week because her latch wasn't good.  Also, I did have the wife of one of my husband's co-workers ask me why I was breastfeeding, that it's not good for my marriage and I should let someone else give the baby formula with rice cereal in it, so the baby isn't so focused on me.  That it's all very bad for my marriage.  She's a local and a lot of locals with money don't think breastfeeding is very classy.  They seem to see it as something that poor people and the indigenous do.

auntkissy
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:50 PM
My sister is very anti Bf.. Hunter got hungry in Ruby Tuesdays the other day so I used the two shirt method and fed him.. she was saying Eww.. people are trying to eat! I said yeah.. so is he! Nobody wants to see your boobs... I said.. well, then they better not look! It's ridiculous!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)