Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

stupid things people say to bf moms

Posted by   + Show Post

some of our posts make it sound like bfing moms are angry, whewww, i thought this may be fun. I keep thinking now im pregnant again and going to be bfing I will have to put up with all the stupidity again.  Might help some new mom's out there to share. 

so stupid comments people make to breastfeeding mom's.

MY mil was the worst, she had twins and 5 kids total and feels bfing is a waste. (now i always covered up, nothing hanging out)

she would say ewww, are you going to do that in here cant you go someplace private?, is he still bfing? isnt he old enough for cows milk, he eats too often, that i wasnt giving him what he needed, that he is an anemic because i bfed him, she would literally harrass me every time

others:

people always have to state why they didnt bf exclusively

always telling me they needed cereal or food to compensate

he wont know how to use a bottle or drink properly

its not proper to do that in front of your other boys'

they might not get enough air covered up like that....

and the stupidest ever while i was covered up at a bbq and bf son in rocker ---- IS THAT YOUR BABY???? no you moron i just randomly grabbed a baby here and stuck him on my tit

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Replies (51-60):
Titana
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:43 PM
2 moms liked this
I wanted to but instead (to keep peace) smiled and said she could take them and leave but I wasn't going to starve my baby so she felt comfortable.

Quoting jackiewal10:

Ohhhhhh no!  I would've said, ok, you can leave now then, since this is my house.

Quoting Titana:

I have heard all of what you posted as well! And all from my mil too. It's annoying but the worst ever was when I was in a room by myself (our house) nursing and mil showed up with her boys (grandsons from her daughter) and told me I couldn't nurse with them in the house because it wasn't right. Ugh the nerve....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Terpsichore
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:07 PM
3 moms liked this

Slightly ot but to add something new:

My sister made dinner for her family and me and our parents, but she was out of milk so used BM. She whispered to me and mom, "Don't tell the men." All well and good until my dad mentioned that it tasted a bit different, he liked it, and what was different about it. The three of us got big smiles on our faces.

Mitzi31
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:16 AM

For one I don't understand why in the hell people think that it's not natural to BF?? Its the most natural thing ever! Animals do it and they don't belittle them! That's what these fun bags were made for! It's the perfect food! No it's not always easy but it's what's supposed to happen. Formula has been nice for some people that honestly coudln't BF but that's all.

Lol, I like the post though! People say some stupid stuff!

Mitzi31
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:19 AM
1 mom liked this

The nerve!!!!! Just makes my blood pressure go up to hear people being so ignorant! I don't like making people uncomfortable and I'll cover up if I'm around people that feel weird about it but that is all! If they STILL want to make a big deal about it then we'll go head to head. There is a such thing as compromise and I'll do that but I will NOT starve my baby just cause it makes someone uncomfortable.

Good job!

Quoting Titana:

I wanted to but instead (to keep peace) smiled and said she could take them and leave but I wasn't going to starve my baby so she felt comfortable.

Quoting jackiewal10:

Ohhhhhh no!  I would've said, ok, you can leave now then, since this is my house.

Quoting Titana:

I have heard all of what you posted as well! And all from my mil too. It's annoying but the worst ever was when I was in a room by myself (our house) nursing and mil showed up with her boys (grandsons from her daughter) and told me I couldn't nurse with them in the house because it wasn't right. Ugh the nerve....

Titana
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:48 AM
I'm the same way! I also will not pump and use a bottle just to make them happy either. Seems dumb. Thank you!

Quoting Mitzi31:

The nerve!!!!! Just makes my blood pressure go up to hear people being so ignorant! I don't like making people uncomfortable and I'll cover up if I'm around people that feel weird about it but that is all! If they STILL want to make a big deal about it then we'll go head to head. There is a such thing as compromise and I'll do that but I will NOT starve my baby just cause it makes someone uncomfortable.

Good job!

Quoting Titana:

Quoting jackiewal10:

Quoting Titana:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
motherslove82
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Not really stupid, but kind of cute: I was at my grandparents house and baby needed to eat. I put a receiving blanket over her because my grandfather (the only male present) was in the room. He said "don't smother that baby on my account" and HE got up and left the room. Lol.

The stupidest comments were the "are you STILL nursing that baby? That's disgusting!" comments.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sissy852
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:07 AM
That he wont gain enough weight bfing. I accually went back to that person a week later and said well he had his doctor appointment and he gained 11 oz in a week and then at 1 month i told them he gained 4 pounds in 1 month. That shut the person up. Oh i also told the person that my ds2 didnt gain that much being ff
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
neptunekitty
by New Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Lol my dad told me when I was little all the brown cows made chocolate milk lol.

Quoting hnischke:

As a kid I thought that they fed cows chocolate to get chocolate milk lol. Only I was like 5.

Quoting MommeeTo4:

Do you make chocolate milk if you drink chocolate milk.

The girl who asked was 15 smh

She was dead serious

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
oliver92
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:03 PM

These are hilarious, my mil was sure it would "harm" my 2 boys as if it is a sexual nasty act or something who were both 8 then, seeing me such a thing as bf our new baby. And I always covered up accept in my own bed or alone basically.  Now that we have twins at my moms daycare the one ds now 11 yrs asked how come we were giving them pwd milk and there mom wasnt giving us frozen milk for them. :) I told him not all mom's breastfeed. he was like how do they get milk then??  I cannot wait to hear what mil thinks about me bf new baby around the 11 yr olds and our 3 yr old.  He already tells people he has a baby in his belly so im sure he will be bfing his baby doll when he sees me do it. LOL

Journeysmama11
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:26 PM

My parents ask me all the time "When are you going to switch to formula?" WHAT?! I wasn't sure how to answer that...I just said why would I? this is saving tons of money. My dad then asked "So are you just going to go til a year and then switch to cow's milk right away?" ...I just said yea...but I honestly want to go to two yrs if I can. ...maybe longer...idk. I never set a time. Just love breastfeeding and don't want to think about when I will stop. But I didn't want to cause an argument b/c they think it's weird to breastfeed past 1 yr. I have had people leave places even when I covered to feed my baby!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN