Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
I am going to order my breast pump thru my insurance. I am able to choose between a melodi medela and aveda? I will be pumping at work which may include in the car as I am a visiting nurse. Any suggestions on a good pump?
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Replies (11-17):
nurseangel032
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:29 PM

I am a visiting nurse too.  Wondering how the heck I am going to do this once I go back to work.  I did order a medela.   ( double)  How long does it usually take to pump?  I have not even opened it yet. Baby is just 12 days old.  Nursing every couple of hours. 

tisanthem
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Its going to take a lot of dedication. I'm imagining being hooked to these pumps driving to my next visit. I would really like to be successful but I also know the reality of our day to day. Good Luck!
Quoting nurseangel032:

I am a visiting nurse too.  Wondering how the heck I am going to do this once I go back to work.  I did order a medela.   ( double)  How long does it usually take to pump?  I have not even opened it yet. Baby is just 12 days old.  Nursing every couple of hours. 

Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:20 PM
After my supply was established (6-8 weeks) I would pump 15 or so minutes. Any more and your boobs might get sore.

I am in nursing school right now. What kind of visiting nurse are you? Do you like it? I want to eventually work in hospice care and do home visits.

Quoting nurseangel032:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:24 PM
You can do it! I was pumping behind a curtain in my CNA class... get a nursing cover, like an UdderCover ( you can get codes for free ones - just pay shipping like $9-10). When we did our clinicals, I pumped with my cover in front of everyone in the teeny breakroom we were given for our 15 minute break. You can make it work. :)

Do you like your job? Tell me more about what you do! :)

Quoting tisanthem:

Its going to take a lot of dedication. I'm imagining being hooked to these pumps driving to my next visit. I would really like to be successful but I also know the reality of our day to day. Good Luck!
Quoting nurseangel032:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tisanthem
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Quoting Amberleigh81:

I love my job! I work with an insurance company performin assessments in the home for homebound clients. This job is a lot more flexible than working for a facility. Before this I worked for a homecare agency performing hands on care to the homebound. This included wound care insulin administration and patient teaching. Loved that too but the workload was a little too much. Down side to being a field nurse is the paperwork. Computer or not it is a bit much. Congrats on nursing school.____
nurseangel032
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Quoting Amberleigh81:

You can do it! I was pumping behind a curtain in my CNA class... get a nursing cover, like an UdderCover ( you can get codes for free ones - just pay shipping like $9-10). When we did our clinicals, I pumped with my cover in front of everyone in the teeny breakroom we were given for our 15 minute break. You can make it work. :)

Do you like your job? Tell me more about what you do! :)

Quoting tisanthem:

Quoting nurseangel032:

nurseangel032
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:07 PM
2 moms liked this

I love home care.  I am an LPN.  I worked in a hospital, nursing home, and group homes.    Home care is by far my favorite type of nursing.   I see mostly geriatric patients but occassionally younger ones too.  ( Most of our funding is through medicare)     Lots of respiratory, post surgical, cardiac, rehab, wounds,  ect.     I see 6 to 7 patients a day.    Most of my patients are in the same general area, one or two towns.  Each visit last from 20 min to 45 min.   I really get to spend quality time with them and the flexibility is great.  ( can work around my own medical appointments or kid conferences, and stuff like that)   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)