Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hives? Rash?

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:40 PM
  • 11 Replies
Dd has had dry patchy spots on her legs for months now, dr thought it was ringworm but the fungal medicine did nothing. She's itchy and scratches her legs. I've been thinking maybe she has eczemabut now she has a new issue. Recently in the past month or so she started getting hives on get lower back. We attributed them to the cloth diapers because they only started occurring after we started cloth diapers. Now, for whatever reason, she's been breaking out in a rash and hives on her lower back even though we switched back to disposables. She's never had this problem until we started using cloth diapers but now even the disposables make her itch. She has drawn blood from her scratching and cries when i make her wear a onesie so she can't scratch. I haven't had any difference in food but maybe she has developed an allergy that's new? Idk what to do. What can i put on her rash? Btw her dr wouldn't look at her rash at her wellcheckup because said I'd need to make a separate appointment. She's 1 btw, and still breastfeeding.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
preacherskid
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:49 PM

An allergy can develop to a familiar food, or a new food.  What are you/she eating?  Any changes in detergent, soap, lotion?  Any congestion, cough, wheezing, digestive changes (diarrhea, weird colored poop, constipation), have you noticed either eczema, rash, or hives anywhere else?  Any swelling anywhere in her face, cheeks, maybe hands?  Definitely sounds like an allergy.  Make an appointment, and tell them if they are not willing/able to help you you want a referral to a pediatric allergist.  Start keeping a log now, what you/she eat, patterns of hives/eczema flares, if you use a lotion or detergent, etc.  It will take some time, but you should see a pattern emerge that will help you find the cause for this.  Meantime, get some aquaphor.  Give your lo a baking soda bath and slather on the aquaphor.  Then put her in something she can't get open to scratch, like footed jammies.  When you get her in to the doctor chances are they will prescribe a steroid cream- this will help clear the flares when used with aquaphor, you will still need to find the trigger.  Also if you have not already joined check out the Young Children With Allergies/Eczema/Asthma group- they are a great support, and have lots of different methods and tips for dealing with doctors and finding allergy triggers :)

sleepymommy87
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Nothing in my diet changed, nothing in hers changed either. Same soap, same detergent, same everything. Literally the only thing that changed around the time she started breaking out was the cloth diapers, which is super weird and doesn't sound likely. There's no breathing problem, no coughing, no wheezing, just a lot of scratching. She scratches everything. It started when it got cold, so i thought maybe dry skin, but I've been using aveeno lately to keep her moisturized but it's not helping. I can't get her into the Dr yet, and i have to take her to that specific dr first because she's on state medicare. :/ but i will try aquaphor. How do i do a baking soda bath? I've given her oatmeal baths but they only help for that little while.

Quoting preacherskid:

An allergy can develop to a familiar food, or a new food.  What are you/she eating?  Any changes in detergent, soap, lotion?  Any congestion, cough, wheezing, digestive changes (diarrhea, weird colored poop, constipation), have you noticed either eczema, rash, or hives anywhere else?  Any swelling anywhere in her face, cheeks, maybe hands?  Definitely sounds like an allergy.  Make an appointment, and tell them if they are not willing/able to help you you want a referral to a pediatric allergist.  Start keeping a log now, what you/she eat, patterns of hives/eczema flares, if you use a lotion or detergent, etc.  It will take some time, but you should see a pattern emerge that will help you find the cause for this.  Meantime, get some aquaphor.  Give your lo a baking soda bath and slather on the aquaphor.  Then put her in something she can't get open to scratch, like footed jammies.  When you get her in to the doctor chances are they will prescribe a steroid cream- this will help clear the flares when used with aquaphor, you will still need to find the trigger.  Also if you have not already joined check out the Young Children With Allergies/Eczema/Asthma group- they are a great support, and have lots of different methods and tips for dealing with doctors and finding allergy triggers :)

preacherskid
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Put about 1/8 to 1/4 cup of baking soda in a luke warm bath (warm to hot water can exacerbate eczema by drying skin out, as can frequent bathing)   Swirl to dissolve and let her play around for a bit.  You can also add an oil like safflower, cocnut, or even olive oil to her bath with the baking soda to increase the hydration in her skin.  Her eczema patterns sound like my odd's did at first- I thought they were ringworm and treated them for three weeks and they just got worse, asked her ped about it and he told me it was eczema and to start a food diary.  She has a dairy allergy that went undetected for fifteen months because none of her reactions were noticeable except for a little fussiness and some tummy issues :/   Then she had that flare and we started looking for patterns, once we eliminated dairy from her diet and mine 100% the eczema flares were dramatically reduced.  She is four now and still has them every now and then, like when she catches a virus it will flare, or if it is really cold and dry it will flare, but they are minor and only need a little treatment if caught early enough.

I can sympathize with the state insurance, I run into the same thing because we get it for the girls.  We got lucky though and her ped will usually get me a referral or testing if I ask for it- right now I am waiting for a referral to a new ped allergist because hers is leaving :(

sleepymommy87
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Maybe I'll try to eliminate dairy and see if that helps. She's never had any issues but maybe she has and i just never noticed. I only bathe her about twice a week sometimes once a week because i don't want her skin to dry out, but I'm gonna try that baking soda bath tomorrow. I mixed a few drops of tea tree oil into water and sprayed her back, let it dry, then put coconut oil on it and she stopped scratching enough to fall asleep. I'm gonna call her dr for an allergist referral tomorrow. Bummer to cut out dairy but i will in case she has developed an allergy to it recently. Thanks :)

Quoting preacherskid:

Put about 1/8 to 1/4 cup of baking soda in a luke warm bath (warm to hot water can exacerbate eczema by drying skin out, as can frequent bathing)   Swirl to dissolve and let her play around for a bit.  You can also add an oil like safflower, cocnut, or even olive oil to her bath with the baking soda to increase the hydration in her skin.  Her eczema patterns sound like my odd's did at first- I thought they were ringworm and treated them for three weeks and they just got worse, asked her ped about it and he told me it was eczema and to start a food diary.  She has a dairy allergy that went undetected for fifteen months because none of her reactions were noticeable except for a little fussiness and some tummy issues :/   Then she had that flare and we started looking for patterns, once we eliminated dairy from her diet and mine 100% the eczema flares were dramatically reduced.  She is four now and still has them every now and then, like when she catches a virus it will flare, or if it is really cold and dry it will flare, but they are minor and only need a little treatment if caught early enough.

I can sympathize with the state insurance, I run into the same thing because we get it for the girls.  We got lucky though and her ped will usually get me a referral or testing if I ask for it- right now I am waiting for a referral to a new ped allergist because hers is leaving :(

preacherskid
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Np :)   Once you get past the initial "no dairy?!?" shock it gets to be second nature.  Let me know if you need any recipes- we have been dairy free for four years now :)

K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Eczema on the legs for sure.  That often occurs with food allergies.  We discovered my oldest ds was diagnosed with dairy and egg allergies at age 3, but had eczema and some other symptoms early on that we just didn't put together as being related.  Both he and my younger ds will look fine for a while and then one little irritant will cause a flare-up.  It could be that the specific cloth diapers you were using might have done that or it could be any number of things.  Kids can develop allergies out of the blue--case in point my youngest (who's almost 3) whose favorite food used to be shrimp and then he suddenly developed a severe allergy to it.  He went from loving it one week to not even being able to eat food prepared in the same kitchen with it the following week.  Allergies are pure insanity, but you do learn to adapt. :)

Aveeno gave my kiddos hives and caused their eczema to really flare.  We use curel fragrance free and cortisone cream when it's really bad.

What diapers were you using?  My kids can't handle a suedecloth or fleece inner.  They also have sposie allergies and also have trouble with exposed elastic.

sleepymommy87
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:09 AM

I didn't know that eczema could be from an allergy. She's had dry patches since she was born, but they didn't get bad until she was about 6 months old, and really bad the past couple of months. Hmmm now I'm really thinking that she could have food allergies and that's what caused her eczema... I dont eat peanuts or peanut butter or anything with nuts that often, and I rarely eat eggs, but I do love me some milk and cheese so maybe she's having a dairy allergy like pp suggested. That would make a lot of sense. It never gave her any other problems, but maybe the itchiness is from that. We were using Sunbaby diapers with the microfiber inserts and they were lined with fleece.. The only place she got the rash was her lower back, above her butt crack, where the elastic is. But like I said, even the disposables give her a bad rash now, which never used to happen. This girl has never even had diaper rash except once when I was on antibiotics. It's just so weird! I'm sad to give up my milk. :( LOL

Quoting K8wizzo:

Eczema on the legs for sure.  That often occurs with food allergies.  We discovered my oldest ds was diagnosed with dairy and egg allergies at age 3, but had eczema and some other symptoms early on that we just didn't put together as being related.  Both he and my younger ds will look fine for a while and then one little irritant will cause a flare-up.  It could be that the specific cloth diapers you were using might have done that or it could be any number of things.  Kids can develop allergies out of the blue--case in point my youngest (who's almost 3) whose favorite food used to be shrimp and then he suddenly developed a severe allergy to it.  He went from loving it one week to not even being able to eat food prepared in the same kitchen with it the following week.  Allergies are pure insanity, but you do learn to adapt. :)

Aveeno gave my kiddos hives and caused their eczema to really flare.  We use curel fragrance free and cortisone cream when it's really bad.

What diapers were you using?  My kids can't handle a suedecloth or fleece inner.  They also have sposie allergies and also have trouble with exposed elastic.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:18 AM

We've been either all or mostly dairy free for 2.5 years now.  it may take 4-6 weeks of no slip-ups to see a difference, especially since eczema is a typically a latent sign of an allergy.  Here's what I use:

milk: almondmilk (I prefer silk brand, but get whatever's on sale... not that much more expensive than cow's milk now--I couldn't believe the price when I checked last time!) or coconut milk.  If you aren't a fan of coconut, I'd start with almond.

ice cream: coconut milk ice cream (so delicious is awesome, not very coconutty) or frozen bananas thrown in the food processor with a little bit of almondmilk (and peanut butter when I'm feeling fancy!)

butter: coconut oil for cooking, smart balance light or earth balance for spreading

cheese: daiya is completely dairy-free.  Watch the veggie shreds and almondmilk cheese as they usually contain dairy (why????).  The longer you go without eating real cheese, the better dairy-free cheese tastes but honestly I usually just did without.  No cheese pizza is actually pretty good, and avocado or refried beans give you a cheesy texture in a sandwich/wrap or on tacos.

yogurt: so delicious makes a coconut milk one but I haven't tried it

Quoting sleepymommy87:

I didn't know that eczema could be from an allergy. She's had dry patches since she was born, but they didn't get bad until she was about 6 months old, and really bad the past couple of months. Hmmm now I'm really thinking that she could have food allergies and that's what caused her eczema... I dont eat peanuts or peanut butter or anything with nuts that often, and I rarely eat eggs, but I do love me some milk and cheese so maybe she's having a dairy allergy like pp suggested. That would make a lot of sense. It never gave her any other problems, but maybe the itchiness is from that. We were using Sunbaby diapers with the microfiber inserts and they were lined with fleece.. The only place she got the rash was her lower back, above her butt crack, where the elastic is. But like I said, even the disposables give her a bad rash now, which never used to happen. This girl has never even had diaper rash except once when I was on antibiotics. It's just so weird! I'm sad to give up my milk. :( LOL

Quoting K8wizzo:

Rachel_Neocate
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:36 AM

We've been dairy, soy, egg free for two years for my LO... He has just recently added soy and eggs back to our diets but he is still dairy intolerant.  We are still nursing but he will drink almond milk.  

Anyway, everyone already gave great advice, suggests, etc... just wanted to pop in and add that your story reminded me so much of another mom's story w/ her LO, his only symptom of his dairy allergy (and it was severe) was his eczema rash.

http://www.neocate.com/about-neocate/testimonials/rjs-ezema-clears/

It is tough at first to get used to a no-dairy diet, but once you get the hang of it, it's not that bad.  Here are a few links for recipes, etc:

http://www.godairyfree.org/Table/Food-to-Eat/Food-Label-Info/

http://www.godairyfree.org/dairy-free-recipes

http://intolerantoffspring.com/

good luck :)

Rachel  ~ Mom to 3 boys
Augustboy02 - Sensational Sensory kid
D
ecemberboy04 - former reflux baby
Augustboy10 - MFPI

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Do you use any generic soaps, detergents, etc? Generics tend to change manufacturers a lot so what was in the bottle last time you bought it may not be the same as this bottle. Does that make sense? Just thought I'd throw that out there just in case.

Quoting sleepymommy87:

Nothing in my diet changed, nothing in hers changed either. Same soap, same detergent, same everything. Literally the only thing that changed around the time she started breaking out was the cloth diapers, which is super weird and doesn't sound likely. There's no breathing problem, no coughing, no wheezing, just a lot of scratching. She scratches everything. It started when it got cold, so i thought maybe dry skin, but I've been using aveeno lately to keep her moisturized but it's not helping. I can't get her into the Dr yet, and i have to take her to that specific dr first because she's on state medicare. :/ but i will try aquaphor. How do i do a baking soda bath? I've given her oatmeal baths but they only help for that little while.

Quoting preacherskid:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)