Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Hi ladies.. update on our situation.

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:54 PM
  • 17 Replies

so...

the smallest tubing for the SNS is what was ruining Rhythms latch, the medium tubing is broken :-/ so we are using the large tubing.

The domperidone is working a lot. and i'm going to try to get the medium tubing but i have no idea where or how to get it because i currently dont have a car, my fiance is all the way in nor cal apartment hunting.

I was dripping and letting down on my own, but then i got super stressed out and that hasnt happened for a couple days. i also havent been able to pump because my fiance is gone and its very difficult to pump and take care of rhythm at the same time. he always tries to attack the pump, rip the tubing, etc..

i've been giving 2 oz at each feed after i feed him and do breast compressions and all that, when he gets too frustrated to keep latching i give him the sns.

it seems like he is starting to get more from me, because he has been taking a little less formula.

i keep having dreams that i have a ton of milk, i havent been on the dom that long so i'm still hoping it will work, Rhythms doctor appointment is tomorrow with his blood test results. fingers crossed. is it bad i am seriously hoping it comes up positive for celiac? i'm expecting his thyroid was probably high too.

his weight a few days ago was 14 pounds, 2 oz. which is fantastic! (a couple weeks ago he was all the way down to 12 pounds, 7 oz.) so up nearly 2 pounds.

oh and his first tooth is finally poking through, hes been really fussy lately, but i think its from his tooth. hes been chewing on his teething toy nonstop.

to clarify, I MAKE two ounces of formula, because you have to measure it like that. sometimes he takes it all, sometimes he doesnt. i figure with the sns, if hes not hungry he will stop eating. he has started going a bit longer between feeds as well but still pretty frequent. I definitely need to get the medium tubes tho.

is the generic brand of domperidone ok? It was way cheaper so i got the melttabs.. i had some already i was taking before and it seemed to actually work better for me.

right now, im not sure if we will be weaning off supplements anytime soon, but im waiting to see how things go with my supply with dom. maybe we will be able to, maybe not. either way i'm hoping the dom will at very least help me keep my supply so that after he is a year i can still breastfeed him into toddlerhood. and then we can drop the formula becaus ehe will be eating solid food and not need it, right? 

oh and the formula I found that he is not allergic to and works well for him, and tastes good is Babys only natures one formula. I actually really like the company a lot. they put "toddlers formula" on the can (even tho it is for babies) to encourage people to breastfeed. they also have a discount program for babies with medical hardships, and celiac is a qualifying condition. :) and its organic. I am glad that even tho i am having to give some formula, that its at least a more ethical company and not enfamil or similac. 

I have to admit, I've been seeing moms breastfeeding and it makes me really, really sad. I'm trying to keep it in my head that I AM still breastfeeding, even if most of it is having to be formula for now. he is still at the breast with the SNS. but i'd be lying to say i dont feel a little sad everytime i see a woman being able to EBF and not understanding what the hell went so wrong for us. hopefully next baby will go much better knowing what i know now.

OH. almost forgot, there is an LC up north I am going to be seeing once i move, she does these tongue excersizes. my friend was telling me about her, and she has a free breastfeeding support group. a  momma in the group does the tongue excersizes and had a tongue tied baby that they didnt clip, and it works well. rhythms latch is getting better with the bigger tubing but hes still having issues. it sounds like these tongue excersizes could help, has anyone heard of this kinda thing?

trying to just take it one day at a time..

____________________________________________________________________________________

Non-vaccinating, breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, cloth diapering, attachment parenting, anti-CIO,  crunchy momma of one happy little baby boy. :)

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LucyHourglass
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:54 PM

that was way longer than i thought it would be lol

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Where in nor cal are you going? Who is the LC?

Yes, there are certain tongue exercises that can really help in certain situations!

LucyHourglass
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:33 PM

moving to Arcata, its in humboldt county. the LCs name is Star...

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Where in nor cal are you going? Who is the LC?

Yes, there are certain tongue exercises that can really help in certain situations!

____________________________________________________________________________________

Non-vaccinating, breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, cloth diapering, attachment parenting, anti-CIO,  crunchy momma of one happy little baby boy. :)

LucyHourglass
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:46 AM

bump

K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:49 AM

I'm glad things are going better.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:08 AM
You learn with every experience. You have handled everything very well.... kudos for sticking with it mama! Can't wait to hear what the doctor says today
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
moroccanmommy
by Robin on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Send me your address I think I have some tubing new in the package it was given to me by wic.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:28 AM
Very curious how all that blood work comes back. Good luck.
LucyHourglass
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:50 AM

thanks momma! PMing you in a minute..

Quoting moroccanmommy:

Send me your address I think I have some tubing new in the package it was given to me by wic.

LucyHourglass
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I may have to reschedule for wednesday, but im hoping they have a later appointment today. i accidently made the appointment at the same time my fiance is doing a walkthrough of the apartment we like and he needs me on the phone because he has no idea what questions to ask. i would imagine she would still tell me over the phone what the blood results showed tho. 

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

You learn with every experience. You have handled everything very well.... kudos for sticking with it mama! Can't wait to hear what the doctor says today

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)