Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ok breastfeeding Mommies...I need help!

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:11 AM
  • 20 Replies

This is really starting to bother me!!
OK....

My daughter is 4 months old. She is F.O.D and I have no problems with that! She barely takes a bottle while i'm gone. She sleeps with us, and is up every 2-3 hours to latch on and eat. She normally gets 1 1/2-2 oz when she DOES take a bottle

Now..
My niece is 2 months old. She is fed every 2 hours unless she is SCREAMING with hunger. On Friday she ate FOUR OUNCES in one sitting with the bottle. She sleeps in her crib ALL night (10-11 hours). My SIL pulls her off if she's just sucking and not really eating, and then tries giving her the paci.

Am I the only one who thinks this doesn't seem ok?? Is my dd in the wrong??  

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Titana
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:15 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't think anything is wrong with either option. My dd is 6 months and fod 24/7 and we bed share as well. She has only ever taken 2 bottles and both during medical situations where I physically couldn't nurse her. I personally LOVE it all but some moms just can't do it that way I guess.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chairhead28
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Babies are like puppies - they eat with their eyes not their tummies when fed with a bottle. A lot of babies often comfort nurse, which is maybe what she is experiencing. Also, 8 week olds often are going through a growth spurt and that could be it as well. All babies are different.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Blue_Spiral
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Well yeah, she shouldn't pull her off. That's ridiculous.

BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:23 AM
All babies are different. Mine probably lies somewhere in between yours and hers. At 2 months, she slept 5-6 hours in her swing, and with me the rest of the night. She takes bottles while i am at work, usually about 4 oz. let her figure it out unless she asks for help.
BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Oh and I pull mine off if she isn't actively eating otherwise i'd have a baby on my noob all day.
devoesgirl
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:33 AM
I think either one is fine. Its all about what works for mom and baby.
Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:34 AM
1 mom liked this
My son was a bit in between yours and hers. He ate every two hours on the dot on his own, but if he cried or acted hungry in between I always nursed him again. I never denied him unless he was just being fussy and the nursing wasn't solving it. I did pull him off after he stopped actively nursing and gave him a paci... The way it feels changes and when it goes into that non-nutritive kind of suck, it really REALLY bothers me. Idk how to explain it other than something that really irritates your nerves(like smacking lips when eating or nails on a chalkboard). He quit taking the paci on his own at 13 months.
A.J.s_mommy
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:35 AM
Babies are different, and people have different parenting styles.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:32 AM
2 moms liked this

You're doing great.  Her method can lead to failure to thrive.  Keep up the good work, Mama.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:40 AM
2 moms liked this
This is what i was thinking when reading the other replies. But she will probably be offended if you tell her she's doing it wrong lol

Quoting K8wizzo:

You're doing great.  Her method can lead to failure to thrive.  Keep up the good work, Mama.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)