Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What gear do you use?

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:41 AM
  • 34 Replies
What kind of equipment (other than your boobs) do you find helpful while nursing?

What brand/style bra and tank/shirts? are they cheap and comfy?
What brand of breast pads do you find work best?

I need to find a nursing bra. I didn't buy one before my baby was born because I wanted to wait to make sure I stuck with BFing. I have just been wearing my genie bra. Which works great because it slides up really easy, but it is kinda a pain for NIP. I pretty much have to always use a cover to nurse discreetly. I like that it is very supportive and comfy.
I also need some tank tops. I have tons of regular camis and tanks but it would be easier to have a few nursing ones.

Currently I'm using the NUK reusable breast pads, but they don't stop leaks as well as I would like and they aren't that comfy. It's not really the thickness of the pads but the width. When I leak you can see what looks like a coaster stain on my shirt. It is like the pad doesn't cover my whole nipple.
The pads I have found that work best are the Advent disposables. I use the overnight protection. I love how soft they feel, but I hate that they are disposables!

Also do you wear a bra at night? If not how do you keep breast pads in place? I hate having to wear a bra 24/7. Even my super comfy genie bra gets old after a while.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:49 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
A.J.s_mommy
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:52 AM
I used to wear a bra at night. Now I don't. If I leak...eh oh well. I just change my shirt and wash the sheets. I also found nursing bras at Walmart that aren't bad. I wear them to work. Easier to pump.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lucaslexie
by Hollie on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Nursing tanks are my fav, no bra at night bc I don't leak. To nip I use two shirt method, tank under any shirt. Lift top shirt and nurse. You can discreetly nip without anyone even knowing without a huge cover that you baby is not going to like.
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:00 AM
Yeah that's why I want to get a nursing bra an some nursing tanks. The cover is becoming a pain for me.

Quoting lucaslexie:

Nursing tanks are my fav, no bra at night bc I don't leak. To nip I use two shirt method, tank under any shirt. Lift top shirt and nurse. You can discreetly nip without anyone even knowing without a huge cover that you baby is not going to like.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:00 AM
I don't think I will bee stop leaking...

:/
Sigh...

Quoting A.J.s_mommy:

I used to wear a bra at night. Now I don't. If I leak...eh oh well. I just change my shirt and wash the sheets. I also found nursing bras at Walmart that aren't bad. I wear them to work. Easier to pump.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
A.J.s_mommy
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Awe. How old is your baby. Mine is 4 1/2 months and I don't leak as much.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Sigh...

Quoting A.J.s_mommy:

SadieJames
by Sarah on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Target camis and tanks.  Reusable pads (flannel WAHM) at home and disposable (Lansinoh) when I go out.  I sometimes wear a nursing bra out and sometimes I wear just the shelf bra in the cami (I'm a 36DD but they're perky thanks to being full of milk!).  

I use an Aden and Anais muslin blanket to cover when I'm out if I need to since it just looks like baby is napping under a blankie.  Those blankets are awesome!

I wear a tank with a shelf bra at night to keep the pads in place.  I have to wear them still or I leak - DD is five weeks old.

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Almost a month old. But I have a forceful letdown which leads me to believe I will always leak.

Quoting A.J.s_mommy:

Awe. How old is your baby. Mine is 4 1/2 months and I don't leak as much.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Sigh...

Quoting A.J.s_mommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:10 AM
My best friend raves about those Aden and Anis blankets. They are a little pricey aren't they?

Do you make the flannel pads or is that a brand?

Quoting SadieJames:

Target camis and tanks.  Reusable pads (flannel WAHM) at home and disposable (Lansinoh) when I go out.  I sometimes wear a nursing bra out and sometimes I wear just the shelf bra in the cami (I'm a 36DD but they're perky thanks to being full of milk!).  

I use an Aden and Anais muslin blanket to cover when I'm out if I need to since it just looks like baby is napping under a blankie.  Those blankets are awesome!

I wear a tank with a shelf bra at night to keep the pads in place.  I have to wear them still or I leak - DD is five weeks old.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SadieJames
by Sarah on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:14 AM

They're not cheap but SO worth it IMO.  I got a pack of 4 for 36$ and I don't use anything else with DD.  They swaddle, cover and are soft.  I love them!

WAHM (working at home mom).  I got some from Etsy and some from the Cuties With Cloth Booties group.  

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

My best friend raves about those Aden and Anis blankets. They are a little pricey aren't they?

Do you make the flannel pads or is that a brand?

Quoting SadieJames:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)