Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

NIP and forceful letdown?

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:07 AM
  • 12 Replies
If you have a forceful letdown/oversupply how do you nurse in public?

I have a really bad forceful letdown and oversupply. My LO has trained himself to pop off my breast when my letdown begins so he doesn't choke. I then express using my pump or hand express into a towel until it slows down. Of course this is fine at home, but a little too exposed and messy for public.

I've been trying to keep the NIP down to a minimum by feeding him in the car before going into the store or finding a quiet place. But Saturday I tried nursing without a cover in the middle of Walmart and LO popped off leaving me completely exposed and making a giant mess. I tried to use a receiving blanket to cover and soak up but I felt like I was juggling.

Any advice?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Same way I nursed at home. I'd find a seat that let me slouch, plopped baby on top. Done. I stopped using he hand expression into a towel very early on and let gravity do all the work.

comptonkids
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:24 AM
I usuallu nurse in a sling and I'd have a burp cloth/receiving blankef in one hand ready to cover and catch what I spray
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:03 AM
When I was trying to nurse Saturday I tried to nurse standing up. It was a nightmare.

Quoting gdiamante:

Same way I nursed at home. I'd find a seat that let me slouch, plopped baby on top. Done. I stopped using he hand expression into a towel very early on and let gravity do all the work.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:04 AM
I really need to take time to practice nursing in my Moby. How long did it take you to get good at it?

Quoting comptonkids:

I usuallu nurse in a sling and I'd have a burp cloth/receiving blankef in one hand ready to cover and catch what I spray

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:09 AM

I think it only took a couple of days for me to feel like an expert, but we were nursing in my wrap constantly during those days because he would only latch while I was walking around.  Woohoo for growth spurts, lol.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

I really need to take time to practice nursing in my Moby. How long did it take you to get good at it?

Quoting comptonkids:

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:11 AM
I will have to get a you tube video and go stand in front of the mirror then!

Quoting K8wizzo:

I think it only took a couple of days for me to feel like an expert, but we were nursing in my wrap constantly during those days because he would only latch while I was walking around.  Woohoo for growth spurts, lol.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Quoting comptonkids:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:12 AM

It's really hard to nurse an infant that young standing up when you have OAL. Standing is a month or two away for you.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

When I was trying to nurse Saturday I tried to nurse standing up. It was a nightmare.

Quoting gdiamante:

comptonkids
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:24 AM
I tend to stay home as much as possible the first 1-2months
I practiced some at home
I prefer a ring sling for NIP and at about 3 months I felt pretty good at NIP in it

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Quoting comptonkids:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:34 AM
I go stir crazy if I stay in the house too long. Plus my older kids go wild!

Quoting comptonkids:

I tend to stay home as much as possible the first 1-2months

I practiced some at home

I prefer a ring sling for NIP and at about 3 months I felt pretty good at NIP in it

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Quoting comptonkids:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:35 AM
I guess I was trying to rush it.

He was hungry and I didn't immediately find a place to sit. I did eventually walk over to the pharmacy and plop down on a bench

Quoting gdiamante:

It's really hard to nurse an infant that young standing up when you have OAL. Standing is a month or two away for you.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Quoting gdiamante:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)