Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I really want to nurse on the side with the clogged duct..

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:27 AM
  • 6 Replies
But it hurts SO bad :( like crying and biting a rag so I dont scream bad. Is there anything besides hot showers and massage that will make it hurt less?

I had a complete sad moment last night and I would really like to still nurse but still pump as well. I dont want to not nurse. It makes her happy, once we get a good latch and were comfy.

Hoe long does it take for nipples to "toughen up"? I have sensitive ones all the time. Not just since I started nursing...ive been nurrsing and pumping for a week now. But that right side, where the clog is, its to much pain. I pump all the tiime and that doesnt hurt as much but it still does a little. I go slow though then work my way up. She just nurses normal.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Terpsichore
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:53 AM

For nipples to "toughen up", probably up to 6 weeks, as that's how long it takes to regulate. It took mine 2-3 weeks. Stuff that helped: expressing a little (until the gush was over) before latching on, and cabbage leaves on the breast to reduce inflammation.

For mastitis: if it lasts more than a few days, a doctor can prescribe antibiotics. The natural cure is nurse and pump as often as possible. Small comfort from someone who's only had mastitis twice, but it did pass naturally within a few days both times.

usmcwife327
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:53 AM
When I had a clogged duct I put a warm compress on as I was nursing and that worked really well. It was gone in a day. Make sure to keep nursing because she empties your breast better than a pump. Or if you can't stand letting her nurse the whole time have her nurse then finish off with the pump. Take a little ibuprofen for the pain. Do you have a lc you can call? They wanted to see me after I had mastitis then another plugged duct a week later.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Are you really engorged? Hot showers can make production worse. If you use heat to soften the breast, nurse right away. You might get relief quicker by alternating heat and cold. Cold helps with the swelling and excess fluid retention in the breast. Ibuprofen will help with the pain and swelling as well. Cold gel pads on the nipples between nursing sessions. Keep putting hear on the clog, nurse as much as possible while massaging the clog toward the nipple. I've also been reading recommendations to apply an electric toothbrush, personal massager or "personal massager" *wink, wink-*, to vibrate the clog out. Or dangle nursing on all fours, though that can be a problem for very young babies who are going to get overwhelmed by the letdown with oversupply.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Where is the pain? On the nipple, in the breast? If it's on the nipple, then we do ned to look at the latch. Do I recall there was a possibility of tongue tie? If so, clipping is needed because no amount of "toughening up" will compensate for bad latch or tongue tie.

**re-reading**

Since the pump does NOT hurt but nursing does, it's not you but the baby. Your nipples are already tough as can be... pumps are harder on them than a baby with a good latch.

Please see a pediatric ENT or an Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant immediately. Just like you'd see a cardiologist for heart troubles immediately... this isn't something you can fix on your own.

Jstoddard98
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:09 PM

I would try pumping on the clogged side while massaging the breast. Another suggestion might be to start nursing on the good breast and then once the baby is not quite so hungry put her on the clogged breast. Nursing is the best thing for it!

GoldenLinds
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Remember to try an position baby so her chin is pointing toward the blockage. You might have to get creative.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)