Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

contractions while nursing?

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:00 PM
  • 9 Replies
I'm 32 Weeks pregnant with my 4th baby. My 26 month old son nurses 1-2 times a day, for the past week when he nurses I get contractions, some of them hurt others just irritate. I have a history of early babies so this has me worried. After he's done with his session, the.contractions stop within minutes. Is this normal? Do I NEED to wean him asap? I tried weaning before and he's not giving up these two feedings. I see my midwife Friday but in the mean time I don't know what to do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
bridixon09
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:10 PM

its normal cause if you stimulate the breasts you bring out the hormone prolactin which causes contactions and can bring on labor if they were to induce you they would give you something with that hormone in it if your really concerned check with your midwife i dont think she would be upset if you called her

CafeMom Tickers
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I'd give your midwife a call and talk to her about it today.

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Call your midwife.  In a normal pregnancy with no history of early labor there is generally little to no risk.  With a history of pre term labor/birth though I would notify the midwife.

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Contractions are normal because if the stimulation. What gestation did you deliver at before?
babydsmommy18
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:37 PM
I've delivered at 34wks,35+3 and 36+3.

Quoting IrishIz:

Contractions are normal because if the stimulation. What gestation did you deliver at before?

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Are the contractions subsiding after nursing? If they are you are probably fine.

Quoting babydsmommy18:

Quoting IrishIz:

babydsmommy18
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Yes, they stop within minutes of him not nursing.

Quoting IrishIz:

Are the contractions subsiding after nursing? If they are you are probably fine.

Quoting babydsmommy18:

Quoting IrishIz:

GoldenLinds
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:47 PM
I would still give my midwife a call. Its totally normal that nursing stimulates the contractions. It might help to work on some breathing exercises during those sessions to minimize the contractions or at least the intensity. Make sure you increase your fluids during that session too to help them subsside and keep them from taking a turn.
babydsmommy18
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:50 PM
I just talked to my midwife, she wants me to come in at 3 to get checked and make sure my cervix are not changing.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)