Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

bad advice?!?! what do you think??

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:14 PM
  • 11 Replies
My dd had her first appointment this morning and the dr said she's not gaining weight quick enough so she wants me to supplement with formula and vitamin d drops. She's 5 days old today and weighs 6 lbs 13 oz
Here's her weight history so far...
Birth 7 lbs 8 oz
1 day 7lbs 4 oz
2 days 6 lbs 14 oz
we had a little latch issue in the beginning but we adjusted that and my milk just came in night before last. If giving her formula is best for her at this point I'll do it but I would really rather not =( what do you mamas think? Am I hurting her by refusing supplements?? Feeling a lil disappointed.....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:18 PM

How many poopy diapers? If baby is having at least 4 poops in 24 hrs, then keep nursing frequently. As much as baby will!

If baby is not having at least 4 poopy diapers, then start pumping and supplementing with your milk until she does. Probably just for a few days, don't use a bottle, use a cup or syringe.

Chances are now that latch is fixed and your milk is in, all she needs to to nurse, nurse, nurse!!!

shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:18 PM
First week is ment for nothing but loss. Then 4-6ozs of gain a week after that.

I wouldn't supplement this early. It's not needed.
mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this

You got bad advice. Your milk just came in & it's normal for the first week to be the loss week, you don't really expect gain in week one at all.  I think you should continue to nurse on demand & for the time being ignore the dr unless there is a real problem & even then I wouldn't suppliment with formula  I'd use pumped milk .

BabyFruit Ticker

shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:22 PM
As far as weight goes let's look at numbers:
Bw= 109ozs
With estimated 10% loss expected with vaginal delivery = 98.1oz or 6lbs 2ozs.

Then 4-6ozs a week after. So at 5 days your still ahead of the game. As long as you are changing enough diapers a day.
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Exactly. 5 days is way too early to know if weight gain is going to be an issue.

Quoting shortyali:

First week is ment for nothing but loss. Then 4-6ozs of gain a week after that.

I wouldn't supplement this early. It's not needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AshSpringer
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:29 PM
BAD BAD advice! It is a boobie trap... You are doing FINE! Nurse on demand. Week 1 is all about losing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soulofsunmama
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:34 PM
What does vitaminD have to do with this I wonder?
As in, that seems odd to suggest on top of their bad advice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabear1111
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Thank you ladies so much! I know it's partially pp hormones but when the dr said that it just really made me feel like I'm letting the baby down, starving her! With my other kids weight gain was never an issue and I know all babies are different I just didn't think this would be a problem. I'm glad you were all here to reassure me that all is good. I'll be getting a pump this weekend hopefully but until then baby will just be glued to the boob as much as it takes =) she's kind of a lazy eater but I'll just try harder to keep her awake! Not sure what vitamin D has to do with any of it but I think she just said it since it all came in the " nutrition kit" she gave me
tarakay0417
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:49 PM
If she keeps falling asleep try burping her before and during nursing. She may have gas built up in her tummy and it could be making her think she is full. Keep nursing her and she will put on the weight in no time. Good luck!

Quoting mamabear1111:

Thank you ladies so much! I know it's partially pp hormones but when the dr said that it just really made me feel like I'm letting the baby down, starving her! With my other kids weight gain was never an issue and I know all babies are different I just didn't think this would be a problem. I'm glad you were all here to reassure me that all is good. I'll be getting a pump this weekend hopefully but until then baby will just be glued to the boob as much as it takes =) she's kind of a lazy eater but I'll just try harder to keep her awake! Not sure what vitamin D has to do with any of it but I think she just said it since it all came in the " nutrition kit" she gave me
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:25 PM

She's supposed to be LOSING and not gaining yet. Running the numbers...

Birth weight 120 ounces (7 x 16 + 8 = 120)

Expected lowest if vaginal birth 108 ounces (120 x .9 = 108)

Reported five day weight 110 ounces. (6 x 16 + 14 = 110)

Baby's allowed to lose two more ounces.

You're allowed to pink slip the doc. You should be disappointed... in the DOC! Baby is PERFECT.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)