Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

bad advice?!?! what do you think??

Posted by   + Show Post
My dd had her first appointment this morning and the dr said she's not gaining weight quick enough so she wants me to supplement with formula and vitamin d drops. She's 5 days old today and weighs 6 lbs 13 oz
Here's her weight history so far...
Birth 7 lbs 8 oz
1 day 7lbs 4 oz
2 days 6 lbs 14 oz
we had a little latch issue in the beginning but we adjusted that and my milk just came in night before last. If giving her formula is best for her at this point I'll do it but I would really rather not =( what do you mamas think? Am I hurting her by refusing supplements?? Feeling a lil disappointed.....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Replies (11-11):
PolishMamma2
by Marta on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:08 PM

No,NO,No formula!!! Keep giving her the breast and she WILL regulate your supply to what She needs. Doctors go off charts and have guidelines of what the  "average"   baby should be. My DS was born 5 weeks early, he weighed 7lbs1oz at birth. and 6lbs13oz at his 5 day Dr visit and the Dr handed me a can of Enfamil A.R. and said that will put some meat on his bones. REALLY!!!   You are not hurting her by refusing supplements. Make sure she has 6 dipers a day and your fine. If she cries at the breast, dont worry its normal. When babies cry at the breast they are telling your body to make more milk. Breast milk is made at supply and demand. The more that is taken out, the more your body will make. Trust me. My son is a verry healthy 9 month old weighing 27lbs and is 34 inches long. he is wearing 18-24m clothing. Breastmilk is  higher in calories then formula. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)